FS: STS Turbo kit - still in box

BenKey

Eric,

How much do you think Chuck from All Pro would charge to install all of this? Is there anything else I would need to do to the truck, like Trans work or anything else to make this work. My truck is my only vehicle and I need it to be dependable. I am very interested in this setup, just need some more info. I read about all the work you and Ben are doing and I cant be without my truck that long.

Thanks

Myself and Erik have rebuilt our motors for more cubes. That is what takes so long to get done.

If you were to go with this setup, I would think at a minimum you would need to plan on some tranny work in the very near future. No diff if you were going with a supercharger setup. If you purchased a complete tranny like Erik, it's just a matter of waiting for it to come in, then install. One day job at a shop, or if you did yourself. If you did like I did, I ordered all the parts and had a tranny guy install them all - again, only one day down. My cost for that was $1250, including labor. An FLP setup like Erik's will run somewhere around $2500.

If you needed the larger injectors, like I would assume you would with this setup, again only one day to install new connectors, raise the fuel rail, and stick in the new injectors. Very easy. Connectors take the longest to do, but only cost about $15 for a set. Or, Speartech can do up a set for you, you'll just need to solder in, for about $40. Another pump, at least an inline would be fairly easy to do.

I think turbo and fuel system upgrades would take about 2-3 days at the most. No problems or snags, of course.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Ben, I know you and Erik have been doing alot more motor work than just the turbo or supercharger, I just wanted to make sure that a setup like you are selling would do alright for a daily driver.

Thanks for the info, I am seriously considering buying it.

Thanks Ben, I know you and Erik have been doing alot more motor work than just the turbo or supercharger, I just wanted to make sure that a setup like you are selling would do alright for a daily driver.

Thanks for the info, I am seriously considering buying it.

That's cool. Refer to Erik's post above about the 70 on stock cubes. You would be the first on here to do. I'm guessing it would not be living to it's full potential, meaning much more power to be had just by hitting the switch, but would probably do great for stock cubes.

Eric,

How much do you think Chuck from All Pro would charge to install all of this? Is there anything else I would need to do to the truck, like Trans work or anything else to make this work. My truck is my only vehicle and I need it to be dependable. I am very interested in this setup, just need some more info. I read about all the work you and Ben are doing and I cant be without my truck that long.

Thanks

Myself and Erik have rebuilt our motors for more cubes. That is what takes so long to get done.

If you were to go with this setup, I would think at a minimum you would need to plan on some tranny work in the very near future. No diff if you were going with a supercharger setup. If you purchased a complete tranny like Erik, it's just a matter of waiting for it to come in, then install. One day job at a shop, or if you did yourself. If you did like I did, I ordered all the parts and had a tranny guy install them all - again, only one day down. My cost for that was $1250, including labor. An FLP setup like Erik's will run somewhere around $2500.

If you needed the larger injectors, like I would assume you would with this setup, again only one day to install new connectors, raise the fuel rail, and stick in the new injectors. Very easy. Connectors take the longest to do, but only cost about $15 for a set. Or, Speartech can do up a set for you, you'll just need to solder in, for about $40. Another pump, at least an inline would be fairly easy to do.

I think turbo and fuel system upgrades would take about 2-3 days at the most. No problems or snags, of course.

When Chuck put in my turbo, it took him two days, but he was being very careful and following the instructions step by step. He also did an awesome job with making everything look very nice. Chuck chrages $65 an hour I think, and billed be for 8 or 10 hours, I think. I'd just give him a call and ask him for a quote. Tell him I sent you.

You'd definately want a tune, injectors and a fuel pump (at least) helper for Ben's kit. You'd also want a shift kit, servos pretty soon, and a tc in the future.

Joe, no one's put a 70 on a stock 6.0L yet so the answers are kinda tough.  The GT70 will give you more power (a lot more air flow) and won't drop off as "soon" as the GT67 would (I never hit the steep drop off rpm on mine) at the expense of more lag.  So where the GT67 would hit full boost at 3000rpm on your 6.0 the GT70 would be higher - maybe 3800-4000 (On my 408, we're guesstimating 3400 rpm, but then again when I upgraded Ben had the only other 408-GT70 combo so the number is an estimate by Rick Squires based off of his 396 setup).  You'd want a bigger stall than with the GT67 I'd expect but Zippy or TJ could tell you for sure.

As far as trading back to STS, I dunno.  You'd have to ask them.  I still have my GT67 a would consider trading around with you if you end up going for it.

Fuel stuff are options with the STS kits, and if you stick with the 70 you need those 60s from Ben.  If you go GT67 43#s will work.  You at least need a 255lph inline with the 67 and more for the 70.

I can tell you more how the 70 acts on my 408 in the next week or so and that should give us a better idea of how it would work for stock cubes.

Erik,

How much boost were you running with the GT-67 ?? I hate to admit it, but when i was setting up my boost controller, I accidentally had it up to high and ended up hitting around 16 psi in first gear :banghead: it came on really fast, but i couldn't believe how hard it was pulling, I got lucky it didn't screw anything up. All i can say is, i didn't feel like it wanted to quit and i shift at 6200. Now i have it down to 8 psi in first, but in second it goes to 12 psi instantly. The only problem now, is the fact that my boost controller is totally closed, so i can't go any lower. :eek:

I did hit 12psi a couple of times, but would be really careful, as I believe it is or is very close to the 'safe' limit with a 10:1 CR. You will always see more boost in 2nd than in first. In your case, it is pretty extreme however, but that may be due to the intercooler. You can try getting your reference vacuum from the manifold rather than the compressor side of the turbo (for the WG) and see if that equals it out a bit.

What waste gate spring did you get from STS? Unless you ordered a different spring, you should be seeing 5 psi on low boost. Do you know what color the spring is? To get 12psi through an intercooler, I think you'd need a .9bar spring which is pretty heafty. I'm trying a .8 bar on my bigger turbo.

I had a similar problem... I will try to remember what the issue was, but in the mean time, check: vacuum leaks, make sure the lines between the boost controller and the turbo are regular vacuum lines (as opposed to a bigger fuel line or something as that was an issue I ran into)

How would that work for a daily driver? I would think it would be stressfull on the Tranny.

Neither option will let your stock tranny live very long. On a modified tranny (shift kit, servos, etc) and moderate amounts of boost, it would be the same as the GT67 kit. What will kill the tranny is making more power than the tranny can handle. Both the 67 and 70 have that capability, but you can mitigate this risk by running lower boost until you work on the tranny.

March 1st is the last day that I will be trying to sell this. At that point I will order my pistons for 9:1CR and strap this thing on just like I had originally planned.

So, if anyone was thinking about it, catch me before then. Once my pistons have been paid for, no turning back.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived