Truck is hanging down, since LPG-installation

PVerspeek

Hi guys,

brought the truck to a good LPG-dealer yesterday. (Liquid Petroleum Gas)

They suggested installing two 70-Liter tanks below the bed, behind the rear axle.

Today they called me to tell me , there is only 17cm of free space between the tank, and ground, after filling the tanks. Before they did the installation a measure gave them 23 cm of free space.

They told me, they were going to find out a sollution, but I thought, let's put it on the forum also.

What could be causing this? I thought we had a harder suspension?

I will keep you guys updated, and send pics as soon as they are available.

But can you guys give me some thoughts to please, because I'm a bit confused right now... read, don't know what to do exactly...

thanks

Pascal

If I'm correct, that's about 2.4 inches. The regular 4x4 silverado has a 2 inch spacer block between the axle and spring. This would get you back close to original SS height. They shouldn't cost much, I have a set I took off my Z71 but that doesn't help you over there.

The guys just called me back. The tanks are installed as high as possible; so that couldn't be causing the problem. They did notice that the suspension is hanging ON the bumpstops right now. Also; a view from aside; shows a truck with a big load; while they're is no load.

The setup wheighs approx. 150 Kg I guess. it's 125 liters of LPG, which weighs about 50-60 KG and the weight of the 2 tanks.

I can't; and neither can they, understand why 150 Kg would cause my truck hanging on it's bumpstops; unless something would be wrong.

They also suggested in lifting the whole back; by constructing something to put between the springs and the axle.

But still; If you guys stand with 2 in the back of the bed; does the bumpstop though the thing underneath????

please have a look and let me know. They will send me pics tomorrow morning.

Damn what a bummer...

Pascal

It,s not the best place to put the extra weight, what are you doing with your spare, and it will defenetly make handling worse. Other places; in the bed in the centre of the truck, i have also seen 2 small tanks above the rearwheels in a stepside. If they already welded them in place and you still want handling and able to use the bed i think you need an extra leaf on both side's.

In us terms that's about 550lbs or so added to your truck... the suggestion for anotherleaf would be good, but their is still the loss of handeling, as if you placed a heavy load into the bed. You may look into an air bag setup which is made to carry the burden of a heavier load, their a little expensive about $250us but may be woth it to keep the ride smooth and the handeling in an area you can still enjoy.

ride_control_aircell_small.jpg

this is a pic of the air bag setup

Yeah, our rear suspension sags QUITE A BIT with any weight over the rear axle.

Supposedly it's the same rear suspension as the Z71 trucks, but without the 2" lift blocks. I think the sagging we see here would be a very acceptable level if we had those blocks installed, but then there goes the nice unloaded stance we have.

Since these seem like a full-time installation, I'd personally go with some full-time (helper) leaf springs.

Installing a tank in the bed isn't a sollution as my motorcycles have to go in there.

I still can't believe that an extra weight of 150 kg would lower the truck that much.

So you guys are telling me that if you sit on the tailgate with two persons, your truck also toughes it's rear bumpstops?

Is it easy to install an extra leafspring? and how much would this cost?

I don't think that 150 Kg = 550 lbs. as 1 kg = 2.2 Lbs

so that would make: 330 Lbs

any further ideas guys?

Pascal

I haven't checked mine but I would be shocked if it hit the stops with 330 lbs in the rear. Are you sure about the weight? Do you have a hard tonneau cover/cap?

If you don't have a hard cover and your close to being correct on the weight, you may have a weak set of springs. Either way I think you know the answer to the problem, you need blocks or a form of helper springs/bags.

Does this replace the the need for a gas tank?

I have a Gaylords X2000 Speedsturr Tonneau Cover; and the Chevy Bed Extender; (which is made of aluminium) so doesn't add that much.

I thought our truck had a load max of approx. 500 kg (That would make 1200 lbs)

The installer suggested he was going to assemble set of things to put between the axle and leave springs. But will this completely solve the matter?

The idea is that during summer time my Honda CBR FireBlade gets loaded in the bed also; during holidays or track days...

What about that Air thing. Is that easy to set up? I'll make some calls overhere today, but I'm worrying a lot. This is a full size pickup, and it can't even handle some extra weight?

about the extra weight. There are two tanks of 70 liters; filled for 80%. That would make approx. 125 liters of LPG.

I'm making some calculations abuot that. When ready I'll let you know.

Pascal

ok, more information, and pics...

1 liter of LPG weighs 0.8 kg.

there is a load of 115 liter of LPG, so that makes 95 KG.

The 2 tanks will weigh approx. 60 Kg, so indeed a total load of 150 Kg or 330 Lbs.

uploading the pics right now

Archived