Exhaust

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flowmaster is not made as well as borla. Flowmaster has been known to rust faster than some others. I have a borla system on my 96 Chevy and it still looks good no rust and it sound good. :P

If it is quality/look that you are going for, stick with the Borla cat-back. But, I think you will lose some of the performance sound that it comes with from the factory.

Flowmaster would be the better way to go for good performance sound - in my opinion. Eldebrock mufflers sound incredible also.

I had a Borla cat-back on my 99' GMC Sierra w/JBA

cat-forward headers and I think I lost a lot of the performance sound I should have gotten from just the headers by putting on the Borla. Hands-down the best system you will ever buy though.

Price versus performance gained, doesn't seem worth it though.

Flowmaster is not made as well as borla. Flowmaster has been known to rust faster than some others. I have a borla system on my 96 Chevy and it still looks good no rust and it sound good. :P

i have never seen a flowmaster rust. i have had them on every car and truck i have ever owned( no bs its the truth). i had one on my 94 chevy from about 2 weeks after i bought it new, till i sold it a couple of months ago, and no sign of rust. then again i live in sunny cali and don't have to worry about snow. :chevy::thumbs:

There are a few companies that have some options however just ordering a system just for any extended cab short bed won't get you what your looking for as the 6.0l truck's exhaust use twin pipes feeding straight into the muffler instead of the regular y-pipe set-up that is used on 4.8 & 5.3's. I don't know for a fact but it is rumured that one side on the exit end of the factory muffler is a dummy. I run a Magnaflow dule in dule out unit on my truck, it sounds good without much resonance. But to be honest I couldn't tell any real performance difference.

Bear: 01"Pewter"C3

i recently put on new mufflers on my ss. i took out the factory muffler and had two dynamax race flows put on the stock y-pipe. it sounds really good. not too loud and not to mellow either. i would reccomend the dynamax.

I have a flowmaster on my 2000 and it rusted. It really suprised me. I have them on other trucks that i offroad and take to pismo beach and they dont have any rust problems, I dont know why this one did. Im in socal and it rusted, thats what really suprised me.

Im goin to go with a set of spintech mufflers for the SS

If you put a muffler like flowmaster, or any other on a new truck, you will get very little if any rust at all. However, do it on a truck 3 or 4 years old and it will rust. Why? electron transfer, kind of like cathodic protection on pipelines. Think of the exhaust as a big battery the system transfers electrons throughout itself and is equal, then you put in a foriegn object the new muffler and the system trys to balance the electrons by pulling or pushing to the new muffler and corrodes at the welds. Anyone who works on pipelines knows when you replace a section of pipeline you will have to either jumper the repair with cable to give the electrons a easier path of least resistance or isolate the repair with nonconducting couplings, still installing a jumper cable. It's true science is crazy. I think the term is "difference in potential energy" ? :seeya:

Archived