OnStar Phone

cwest94

I hope this is not a re-post, but I couldn't find a answer to my question. My OnStar service runs out in two weeks and I was just curious to know if I can still use the handsfree phone part if I do not have OnStar active.

Thats what I dont understand. Someone told me you can. The person who told does have OnStar on their truck and it ran out, and they said they still can use the handsfree phone feature.

Hmmm... maybe this: sign-up for Onstar, get the phone activated and get on the calling plan with Verizon (where your SS minutes are on the same plan as your cell phone minutes) - then drop the OnStar, and keep paying the Verizon bill?? It would definitely be worth finding out IMO...

Mr. P. :)

Maybe I am just missing something but ... you CAN wire in your cell phone to utilize the microphone and speaker ... you can NOT use sat service to make calls on without OnStar.

Personally I think the voice quality his almost unbearable ... I really hate it when someone finds out they have minutes with OnStar and call me ... it sucks. Sat cell service kicks ass though.

I beleive that you have to go thru Onstar for the phone service, but you can opt for ONLY that part of the service for a reduced rate... at least that was the case when we had our company H2 setup... we didn't need the directory assistance, directions, roadside, etc. BUT we could use the phone for a fee thru Onstar :dunno:

Wish I could remember more... but I rarely used it

My Onstar ran out on my truck and I got many letters from Onstar wanted me to continue with them but it said right in there many times that once Onstar runs out you will no longer be able to use the Onstar assistance or the built in phone.

Bob

If this is all true, then I guess my friend is not telling me the truth. His OnStar ran out and he told me that he just got some cell phone minutes that are only good for a year, at which time he will need to get more minutes. I never use the OnStar thing and never will, I just like having a backup cell if my crappy phone isn't working or I forgot it at home.

good thing about OnStar though is that if you really DO need them...they'll help. they called the fire department for me when i was stuck in the flood no questions asked, and even stayed on the phone with me and the fire department til they got there.... and i havent had service for about 6 months. i thought that was pretty darn nice of them.

I think they were probably afraid of a lawsuit. Think about it - you get in a wreck. There is a device in your vehicle whereby you push a button and someone always answers (even if you don't subscribe or have let your subscription lapse, they will answer, take your credit card information over the OnStar phone, and sign you up for a subscription on the spot). The first thing you tell them is that you've been in an accident and you're upside down and your mouth is full of blood. Do you think they are going to say, "Sorry, you don't have a subscription, you're on your own Mr. Silverado SS Owner. Good luck!"

Just a question.

I think they were probably afraid of a lawsuit.  Think about it - you get in a wreck.  There is a device in your vehicle whereby you push a button and someone always answers (even if you don't subscribe or have let your subscription lapse, they will answer, take your credit card information over the OnStar phone, and sign you up for a subscription on the spot).  The first thing you tell them is that you've been in an accident and you're upside down and your mouth is full of blood.  Do you think they are going to say, "Sorry, you don't have a subscription, you're on your own Mr. Silverado SS Owner.  Good luck!"

Just a question.

Well... If your upside down, onstar isnt going to be much help, the way i understand it atleast. Because unelss you are a very luck person the antena will snap (the least of your problems)...am I right or...?

Archived