More Radix Issues, HELP

Hey guys, I am at my wits end here with this thing.

First it was a TB gasket leak, now it is something way different.

When I jump on it say 50-75% throttle, as soon as the tach hits 3k the engine bogs down and the tail spews black smoke. The thing is fine if I stay under 3k RPM and I don't let boost get over 5 psi.

This dam ricer pulled up next to me and said (uhh dude you are blowing out black smoke, under high RPM, you might have too much fuel or the Sparkplugs might not be gapped right) Don't know if there is any truth to this but can any one shead any light?

Mods are, Nelson tune, Radix 2.9 pully. Shift kit, Cat back.

Please help!!!

Just slow down and don't get too anxious. You'll get it all worked out. I hit some snags in my Radix install, too, but it all worked out in the end.

I would start by pulling your plugs and checking for any signs of fouling. If all OK, recheck your gaps anyway for good measure.

Check in with Allen to see if there could be any tuning issues. I doubt this because he really knows what he's doing, but once in a while something gets missed and your a/f could be off. He may have some troubleshooting suggestions, too.

Go back over and double-check everything you've done on the install. Does that gasket seem to be sealing properly now? Any chance it could be having trouble at over 5 PSI boost? If all else fails per BenKey's suggestion find someone with diagnostic software to scan your engine.

I had a major issue where some metal debris, probably from a washer or retaining clip, actually got down through my intake into two cylinders, scarring two pistons and two combustion chambers. The tips of two plugs were blasted off, leaving me with misfire and stallling issues until I got it all worked out.

I ended up replacing the two pistons and swapping for fresh heads. I'm not trying to freak you out, just stress the importance of slowing down and re-checking everything before you take a step further.

Believe me, in the end you will be rewarded with a nice-performing setup. Just take your time and don't be afraid to go to a good mechanic for some help if you need it. :happysad:

I am going to check my plugs first, (easy to do) Where should they be gapped?

for those radix owners, is there a whistle sound as you slowly step on it? (trying to make sure there is not a blown gasket or anything on the radix connection to the heads.)

The truck runs great until I hit 3k rpm Been driving fine for 3 days now. it just does not like boost!! LOL.

Could it be that the tune was for Dynamax headers and They are not on the truck yet??

What do you mean by logging software??

What do you guys run, where do I get the hook up for my laptop??

Like EFILive, Autotap, EASE, etc.. These will show thing like lean/rich conditions, misfires, knock, etc..

I'm not much on diagnosing problems, but from what I know, sounds like you're excessively rich. Plug check will tell for sure.

Check with Allen on the plug gap, too.

I am not sure what Magnuson recommends, but on FI applications it's generally a good idea to narrow from the stock gap.

I am running NGK TR-6's (one heat range colder than stock) at .035. When he tuned for me he had that in mind.

Again, I agree with BenKey. Either get your headers on or get an interim tune. Eliminate all possible variables to isolate the problem. :P

Magna doesn't recommend a plug change. They claim the stock plugs are fine. It will run without any issues with stock plugs. However, most guys go with a colder plug to reduce cylinder temperatures, which helps with detonation.

Allen over at Nelson said he was sending out a new PCM, he thinks that it is a bad tune for the car to run perfect unless above 3k rpm and then buck and bog down.

Lets keep the fingers crossed!!

OK so If I get colder Plugs, What kind and how do I know what heat range to get?

NGK TR6's are a good FI choice. They come gapped at .035." Just leave them there. :D

The TR6 is a copper plug though, needing to be changed more often. There may now be an iridium plug in the same heat range that will be more maintenance-free. :P

Then again, changing out the plugs on these trucks is no big deal. It was a b..ch on my old Camaro SS. :mad:

Magna doesn't recommend a plug change.  They claim the stock plugs are fine.  It will run without any issues with stock plugs.  However, most guys go with a colder plug to reduce cylinder temperatures, which helps with detonation.

The stock plugs probably are fine with the rather cr..py tune supplied by Magnuson with the Radix kit. With FI and a more aggressive custom tune, it's probably better to go colder on the plugs and narrower on the gap IMHO. :eek:

Archived