Got a ticket this weekend

thrift23

I was in Jacksonville this past weekend, which is where I'm from. I got pulled over at 3 am Friday morning. There was 4 cop cars, I passed all of the cops field sobriety tests, so I didn't get a DUI. I was told that I was clocked at 115 in a 55. The Duval county cops said they lost sight of me as I entered Nassau county so they couldn't pull me over, but they used there radio to contact the Nassau county cops and had them pull me over. The Nassau county cops performed all of the tests and wrote me a ticket for "failure to use due care." Do any of you guys have any experience with law enforcement or any suggestions/comments? I think I can beat it in court, because the Nassau county cop never saw me do anything wrong.

did you get a speeding ticket or just the failure to use due care? And how much was it. You can prob get around it but be careful because if you got let off with a different ticket than the speeding one I would be happy. Isn't a 115 in a 55 auto license suspension? If that other ticket doesn;t give you points I would pay it and not worry but I dont know what that means due care. is that like reckless driving?

What is the good job for?

I didn't get a speeding ticket. The "failure to use due care" ticket was the only ticket I received and it is $115. Not sure if it adds points to my license, but I think it does. I think it's more like a careless driving ticket.

The cop said that it is a bs ticket.

In FL, that's like a "running a red light" ticket, or "improper start" (peeling out), or "no seatbelt"...careless or wreckless driving is a bigger deal...more $$$, 4 points.

But the ones I mentioned above, and the one you go...They're all 3 points, and $115 (were $90 a year ago!).

Not really a big deal, IMO. I'd elect to take the drivers ed class (online, $25), and it will keep the points form hitting your license...it also reduces the fine by 16-20% or so.

So if yo have a FL license...pay the reduced fine and take the class (www.lowestpricetrafficschool.com ...4hr course, but VERY easy).

If you elect to fight that one...even if the Nassau cop saw nothing...all he'll need to do is mention that you were clocked in another county @ 115...the judge will throw the book at you...I've seen guys with even a decent case get the maximum $500 fine and be REQUIRED to take the 12hr school...PLUS got all the points!!!!!! All stemming from similar BS tickets.

You could get a nice judge, but in my experience...unless you have a GOOD excuse/explanation...don't bother taking it to a judge...especially for only $115.

So unless you've taken the drivers ed course in the last year...you're set. You'll be out less than $120, and no points to worry about...that's a no-brainer.

- Brian

85 in a 40!  Good luck buddy, i got mine reduced...and i was straight out caught.  I told the cop i was just seeing what it could do...being a new truck!  The magistrate wrote down 60 in a 40.

That has got to be one of the dumbest things to say to a cop :crackup: I guess it worked tho. Crazy stuff

Wow - 60-over and you still got to drive home! Seriously, sorry to hear about being stopped. In my past experience as a 'gross offender' :driving: when crossing county lines an outrun deputy usually calls the nearest state trooper for help, that way there is less jurisdictional snag and it becomes a lot easier to use that original radar evidence against you. I think it is fortunate that you were stopped by the sherrifs dept, because a state patrolman would have written you up on wreckless driving for sure, and city cops would have just been outright dicks about the matter (again, from my experience)...

I was going to say just own-up and pay the ticket, but the more that I thought about it the more I am thinking you might ask an attorney about this (dismissal via lack of evidence), provided the officer did not sabotage you by writing "115" anywhere on the citation, that makes it harder to win a judge over. And if the officer still thinks it was such a BS ticket that he does not bother showing up to your court appearance then you are totally off... it's a stretch but it could happen!

And buy a good radar detector!!!

Mr. P. :)

Edit - I am sticking with my gut reaction - consider yourself lucky, step up, and pay the fine/driver's ed!

Is there some kind of ticket lawyer in your town? I got a ticket about a year ago and went to this lawyer. Paid him 250 bucks and he got the ticket dismissed somehow. I believe it was about a 60 in a 40. I wouldnt have done this but I had already taken Defensive Driving within the last year, so being under 25 I really didn't want a ticket on my record and raising my insurance prices.

BTW the ticket would have cost in the neighborhood of $170...

Hey the best way to beat it is to ask for a court date, then when it gets close to the date ask to reschedule for a later date. Do that a couple fo times and by the time you go to court the cop has forgot what the ticket was for or will not show and it will be dismissed. My dad was a cop in Miami and i have never been convicted for a ticket i have gotten :thumbs:

Hey the best way to beat it is to ask for a court date, then when it gets close to the date ask to reschedule for a later date. Do that a couple fo times and by the time you go to court the cop has forgot what the ticket was for or will not show and it will be dismissed. My dad was a cop in Miami and i have never been convicted for a ticket i have gotten :thumbs:

Thats cause he used his connections to take care of it :D

My dad was a detective in philly and I haven't had to pay for a ticket in a while :driving:

Archived