how about these subs?

i have heard good things about kicker solo-baric subs

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-5NG7cl0Lm4H/c...cs&i=2065S12L52

this isnt where i am buying them but these are the subs i am thinking about any thoughts about these? anyone running these?? the mounting depth is that bad i have seen some guys on here running a sub that are around 8 inches deep and these are 7 7/16.. also the .88 cubic foot for a sealed box which should be acheived pretty easy.. let me know what u guys think thanks

jamie

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have kicker S12L7's, some of the better subs ive had. Best to do an upward facing box for them...im not a big fan of down firing boxes anyway. Mine fire up and i love them as opposed to my last setup, two JL's going down. I dynamatted the hell out of the cab of the truck too. I like to be able to hear a mouse fart. :jester:

cokedrvrbjw so these subs will work?? could i get your dimensions of your box? how tight are they? could i possibly see some pics of your setup?? i found the subs pretty cheap on ebay probably gonna pick them up this weekend. thanks for your help

I temporarily had 2 S15L7's in my old Z71 ... holy schmidt that was too much ... these subs are pretty damn nice. I run 2 8's (L7) in my camaro and it hits just right. I like em. Especially now that they aren't 800 bucks a sub anymore.

You'll Love them, I have 3 10's in my car with 1500 watts to the trio and that thing is so clean and loud. I love it. I personally would do a down fire box. that is just me though. If I carried Kicker anymore I would do 4 8's. get us pics of how she looks when you are done and how it sounds

cool thanks what amp do u suggest?  gotta dig back in my mind soon and remember how to wire again.. so be on your toes guys i am sure the questions will be flying about bridgeing and everything else very soon lol..

Just make sure the amp will push the RMS watts the sub can handle. If the amp can't hang with the subs(as in my first amp) it could kick off and on. I think I heard all you really need is an amp pushing 75% of the RMS watts. anyone else know what % of subs RMS the amp should push?

:dunno:

i am going with the kx 1200 like dan payne suggested and the 12 inch L7 dual 4 ohms.. 4 gauge wire should be fine for that am i correct??should i get a fuse block or would a inline fuse be fine?? also should i get a capacitor?? or should i get it wired and see if my lights dim?? thanks for all the help guys.. also i found really good prices if anyone cares at www.etronics.com check them out!! thanks

i am going with the kx 1200 like dan payne suggested and the 12 inch L7 dual  4 ohms.. 4 gauge wire should be fine for that am i correct??should i get a fuse block or would a inline fuse be fine??  also should i get a capacitor?? or should i get it wired and see if my lights dim??  thanks for all the help guys.. also i found really good prices if anyone cares at www.etronics.com check them out!! thanks

I think you might go with thicker wire. I think 4 gauge is good for 1000 watts. I use it with my 960 watt setup. I think an inline fuse will be fine, other might think a fuse block is better. You should be fine without a capacitor. I thought I needed one with my first amp choice, I was wrong. The amp would cut off and on because the subs were pulling more than the amp could handle. :cheers:

alright cool so 2 gauge or 0 gauge wire then?  is that for the ground also or just the power?

something like this??

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5758051905&rd=1

I would go with AT LEAST that wire kit! also upgrade the charging lead from your alternator to you battery, it is a cheesy 8 gauge lead that will need to be done!

ok stupid question but what gauge for the charging lead?? wana make sure i have everything that i need so when i go to do this i dont have any suprises lol. so here is my check list..

subs L7 dual 4 ohm

amp kx1200

amp kit pretty close to the one i seen on ebay

new charging lead-- need to know what gauge?

rca's

speaker wire

building my own box. probably going to have to raise my seat correct?

i think thats pretty much everything i can think of

if anyone can think of what else i need please chime in

thanks for all the help!!

If you can do it, go bigger than 4 gauge but it will work if you cant. Most of the time capacitors are pointless. Just run two batterys paralellel and/or get a big alt.

Are you changing your head unit? If you are building your own box, make sure you get the right air space. I think those L7s can move some air.

Archived