EXHAUST OR CAM

I sold the ASM because I was gettinig mixed reviews on the HP gains.  I was able to sell them for basically what I paid, so it made the decision to sell them easy till I new exactly what I wanted to do.

what were the mixed reviews about the HP?? ive heard nothing but good things. the reason i ask, is because iam about to buy some next week :confused::confused::dunno:

I sold the ASM because I was gettinig mixed reviews on the HP gains.  I was able to sell them for basically what I paid, so it made the decision to sell them easy till I new exactly what I wanted to do.

what were the mixed reviews about the HP?? ive heard nothing but good things. the reason i ask, is because iam about to buy some next week :confused::confused::dunno:

Don't change your plans :thumbs:

Don't change your plans :thumbs:

you have the ASMs dont ya bigtex. well, iam gonna take your word on this then. i guess if you are running 4.1 0-60 seconds, you are going in the right direction.

edit, i mistook you for bigtex. whoops. oh well, i trust your opinion just as much ben. :thumbs:

Eric, with the 212/218, do you experience any loss of boost up high before your shift?  I never noticed when I had the low-lift version, but I really didn't know what I was looking at then.

Yes, at WOT under full boost I notice a slight drop-off right before the shift. Not a whole lot, but definately enough to see it on the gauge.

I didnt hear anything bad about ASM. just about mid length to shorties and long tubes. Like when I spoke to Ligenfelter a few months ago they said it wasnt worth putting on anymore then shorties, I the benefits would not be worth the cost of labor and parts. Now I wish I didnt sell the ASM... I think for right now I am going to upgrade the heat exchanger and go to the 05' electric fans and maybe a different muffler. Untill I figure out the cam/heads, and header debate.

I didnt hear anything bad about ASM.  just about mid length to shorties and long tubes.  Like when I spoke to Ligenfelter a few months ago they said it wasnt worth putting on anymore then shorties, I the benefits would not be worth the cost of labor and parts. Now I wish I didnt sell the ASM...  I think for right now I am going to upgrade the heat exchanger and go to the 05' electric fans and maybe a different muffler.  Untill I figure out the cam/heads, and header debate.

Again, I think what LPE was getting at with the heads and headers is that on a Radix application they will not make as significant a difference and may not be worth the investment. With FI, a cam and shorties may perform nearly as well as a ported heads/cam/longtubes combo at much smaller cost. With air being force-fed into the engine, high-flowing valve ports and exhaust scavenging just aren't as vital.

This is the analysis I made in deciding on my setup, in spite of the facts that LPE produces very fine CNC'd heads and that ASM makes very good longtube headers. :)

LPE has a big concern about drivability, warranty, longevity, and emissions. Those things almost come before performance. You can gat a cma that makes alot more power than their cam, but it won't be quite as emissions friendly and will be a little harder on the valvetrain.

On a STS turbo truck, getting headers won't net any real gains. BUT - on a supercharger application, a less restrictive exhaust is better. No matter what, all the parts have to work well together in order to maximize your gains.

LPE has a big concern about drivability, warranty, longevity, and emissions.  Those things almost come before performance.  You can gat a cma that makes alot more power than their cam, but it won't be quite as emissions friendly and will be a little harder on the valvetrain. 

On a STS turbo truck, getting headers won't net any real gains.  BUT - on a supercharger application, a less restrictive exhaust is better.  No matter what, all the parts have to work well together in order to maximize your gains.

I agree that driveabilty is a big deal for the typical LPE client...it is for me. I want something more than just streetable, I want something comfortable (showing my age).

A lot of FI shops recommend the GT2-3 though for blower applications. The wide LSA/low overlap that give you that smooth idle are also the right medicine for building boost. This cam would not be my first choice NA. I would trade off some of the docility for better performance and more area under the curve.

LPE's packages are pricey but their components do seem to work very well together if you don't mind the supercar expense. :happysad:

Archived