Dumb Question sorry

I was planning on doing a stroker kit in the upcoming year or two and want to take care of the trans first. What would be the best combination of torque converter/trans to to 1) handle the power and 2) still give me performance. I really have no idea how anything with transmissions or tc's so any and all input would really be greatly appreciated Thanks everyone.

For a stall, I would stick with a 3000, or less. As far as building the tranny for strength, you can either buy the parts and have them installed, or buy one already built whichever is easier for you.

Do a search for the rebuild/new tranny stuff - plenty of info out there.

Thats why i asked my man mr p. Thanks for all of your help though.

BenKey has always been right, and if he says all the knowledge is in the old threads then I am sure it is. There is lots of talk on convertors and shift kits, they've been talked to death. But what internals does a stock tranny need to survive 400, 500, or 600 lb-ft I dunno, there's not as much discussion about that (on this board), I guess because so few SS'ers have the high-HP to uncover these troubles.

I'm talking out my A** here on this subject, I have always had 4 and 5-speeds in my past projects so :dunno: Everyone is free to correct me on any of this - the most that I have been able to gather from lurking in on everyone else's troubles is:

1. the stock trans needs both shift and convertor correction (for performance, and I agree, it's terrible). Torque convertor choice is going to be mostly dictated by the torque curve of the motor, quality cam makers will be able to tell you exactly what convertor will be needed.

2. Performance convertors are going to require more cooling, and some are better/worse than others (sorry, I don't know which). I do know that trans temps should be 170-190 degrees and over 200 the fluid fries, and the stock tranny cooler cannot cool some convertors.

3. If you put heads, FI, or cubes into your engine then count on buying better clutch packs; count on including this as part of the upgrade, otherwise plan on Driving Miss Daisy.

4. I am betting that when one gets beyond moderate FI (say, more than 480 lb-ft at the crank??) then different sprags, planetary sets, etc might be called for? I am not sure on this, I am just guessing because of the availability of these parts and they must be on the market for a good reason??

5. In extreme torque applications my understanding is that the rear output shaft will fail because it is full of holes; the design is decended from the TH350 but compromised by a bunch of OEM cross-drilling (which Goodwrench genious thought of that??). Also, the front pump is known to grenade regularly, but my suspicion is that this is due more to high RPMs than high torque; automatics (general rule) do not like high RPMs, but do live all day happily in high-torque/under 6000-RPM vehicles. Because of these two factors the 80E swap is getting a lot of investigation, and I believe this upgrade path will be common in coming months for trucks putting out serious grunt.

Anyway, so I'm stuck in my tranny decision, I was planning on a shift-kit and convertor for the stock trans, but am now thinking of instead paying the $3-5K for a built 80E tranny + convertor, and then selling the 60E to offset the cost...

Mr. P. :)

It really depends on your budget and what you want.

Of course, I'm gonna point you to an FLP L5 with billet shafts and PI 10.5" triple disk -- that way you can mod your heart out and still not have to worry. Benkey has a comparable build on his and did it locally, so search his posts for details.

It really depends on your budget and what you want.

Of course, I'm gonna point you to an FLP L5 with billet shafts and PI 10.5" triple disk -- that way you can mod your heart out and still not have to worry.  Benkey has a comparable build on his and did it locally, so search his posts for details.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll do that.

Mr. P. :)

an FLP seems to be a trans with a good backing around here for sure. i would also recomend checking out a trans deal with our supporting vender from jag performance. a few on here have gotten there trans rebuilt by him and have had great success.

Archived