PCM for 2003 SS Questions

Novice in performance upgrades so I need some guidance. :dunno:

I have a stock 03 SS Silverado (except for cat back exhaust).

Will I benefit from a PCM upgrade?

What can I expect to see from the upgrade?

What other components should I install with the PCM upgrade?

How much will I spend. (I need POWER, not a divorce.)

Next instal planned is a Volant Air Intake (and possibly the PCM.)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Novice in performance upgrades so I need some guidance.  :dunno:

I have a stock 03 SS Silverado (except for cat back exhaust).

Will I benefit from a PCM upgrade?

What can I expect to see from the upgrade?

What other components should I install with the PCM upgrade?

How much will I spend. (I need POWER, not a divorce.)

Next instal planned is a Volant Air Intake (and possibly the PCM.)

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

you will definatly benefit from the PCM tune. i reccomend PCM4LESS (you can see his link to the left of your screen) if i were you, i would get the outlaw cold air intake and the pcm at the same time. just tell bryan at pcm4less what mods you have, and he will do the rest.

up top to the right, you can see a link that says my assistant click that and type in pcm, or whatever you want to learn about, and you will be amazed at what info is on here.

I dont have a tune yet, but once im ready for one ill be sure to go with PCMforless, with all these guys talking such good things about it,, and since my friends camaro got tuned form PCMforless and loved it, i think ill go with the 98% of SilveradoSS.com members and get one!

That's what I'm thinking.

Although I'm still puzzled on the Air Intake.

The Volant is a closed box with an added intake scoop to capture additional cold air from the ground effect grill. Assuring you don't engine compartment air.

I was advised to use the Outlaw air intake. Can't seem to find much info on it.

The Outlaw is new...That's why you haven't heard much about it. I have the newest Volant and I have no complaints. Those that have the Outlaw have no complaints either so it's really up to you! There is a topic on the Outlaw intake in the Vendor Praise/Complaints area. Be careful not to get discouraged if you read bad things about Volant...They have changed their product significantly since most of the bad things were written about them here. Good luck and it's good to hear that the performance bug has bitten you! :thumbs:

I just got my pcmforless tune installed last week and here are the low-tech results I got:

I just installed my tune from pcmforless tonight.  I wanted to see what the difference was between the stock and new tune.  I just used a stop watch, which is pretty low tech I know, but I tried to be as consistent as I could.  I performed three runs 0-80 stock then installed the new tune and ran another three runs 0-80.  My elevation is 4400ft and it was 45 degrees out.  Here are my results:

Stock Tune:

1.  14.47

2.  14.12

3.  14.33

Avg.  14.31

PCMforless Tune:

1.  12.23

2.  12.19

3.  12.12

Avg.  12.18

Bottom line, I am flat out impressed.  Not bad for a few hundred bucks.  This truck used to feel like it would lay down a little in 2nd gear but not anymore.  It pulls hard.  Thanks a lot PCMforless. :thumbs: 

P.S.  I have my Outlaw intake sitting in the dining room.  It goes on tomorrow.  I'll post my results for that too.

I installed the outlaw this weekend but haven't had time to do the test runs yet. I will try to do it this afternoon. Hope this helps you.

I just got my pcmforless tune installed last week and here are the low-tech results I got:

I just installed my tune from pcmforless tonight.  I wanted to see what the difference was between the stock and new tune.  I just used a stop watch, which is pretty low tech I know, but I tried to be as consistent as I could.  I performed three runs 0-80 stock then installed the new tune and ran another three runs 0-80.  My elevation is 4400ft and it was 45 degrees out.  Here are my results:

Stock Tune:

1.  14.47

2.  14.12

3.  14.33

Avg.  14.31

PCMforless Tune:

1.  12.23

2.  12.19

3.  12.12

Avg.  12.18

Bottom line, I am flat out impressed.  Not bad for a few hundred bucks.  This truck used to feel like it would lay down a little in 2nd gear but not anymore.  It pulls hard.   Thanks a lot PCMforless. :thumbs: 

P.S.  I have my Outlaw intake sitting in the dining room.  It goes on tomorrow.  I'll post my results for that too.

I installed the outlaw this weekend but haven't had time to do the test runs yet. I will try to do it this afternoon. Hope this helps you.

I kind of doubt you went 0-80 in 12.12 seconds. :icon_bs: It takes me 14.51 second to go 0-91 with all of my mods. Unless you have a turbo or a supercharger, those times are stretching it just a bit.

Stock Tune:

1.  14.47

2.  14.12

3.  14.33

Avg.  14.31

PCMforless Tune:

1.  12.23

2.  12.19

3.  12.12

Avg.  12.18

Bottom line, I am flat out impressed.  Not bad for a few hundred bucks.  This truck used to feel like it would lay down a little in 2nd gear but not anymore.  It pulls hard.   Thanks a lot PCMforless. :thumbs: 

I kind of doubt you went 0-80 in 12.12 seconds. :icon_bs: It takes me 14.51 second to go 0-91 with all of my mods. Unless you have a turbo or a supercharger, those times are stretching it just a bit.

Like I said, it is a low tech way to do it with my stopwatch. I don't have a track nearby so that's all I've got. My point of this comparison was to see for myself the improvement I got with the tune. All six runs were done as consistantly as I could do, so I think the improvement shown is reliable.

Anyway, here's the results I got doing my timing the same way 0-80, at 46 degrees this time, after I put on the Outlaw CAI. I just did these this morning. Is your BS icon ready?

Pcmforless tune and Outlaw CAI:

1. 11.94

2. 11.98

3. 11.99

Av. 11.97

This shows that the Outlaw got me .21 quicker 0-80. Honestly, this is what I got. I hit the start button on the watch as soon as I mash the gas and let off the brake at idle, then stop when the needle hits 80. So either it takes longer than you think to get from 80 - 90, my tune is a working a little better than yours, or all of that extra money you spent on your other mods didn't pay off much.

Stock Tune:

1.  14.47

2.  14.12

3.  14.33

Avg.  14.31

PCMforless Tune:

1.  12.23

2.  12.19

3.  12.12

Avg.  12.18

Like I said, it is a low tech way to do it with my stopwatch. I don't have a track nearby so that's all I've got. My point of this comparison was to see for myself the improvement I got with the tune. All six runs were done as consistantly as I could do, so I think the improvement shown is reliable.

Anyway, here's the results I got doing my timing the same way 0-80, at 46 degrees this time, after I put on the Outlaw CAI. I just did these this morning. Is your BS icon ready?

Pcmforless tune and Outlaw CAI:

1. 11.94

2. 11.98

3. 11.99

Av. 11.97

This shows that the Outlaw got me .21 quicker 0-80. Honestly, this is what I got. I hit the start button on the watch as soon as I mash the gas and let off the brake at idle, then stop when the needle hits 80. So either it takes longer than you think to get from 80 - 90, my tune is a working a little better than yours, or all of that extra money you spent on your other mods didn't pay off much.

Like you said, your method isn't the most accurate so that's why I said it was unlikely. We don't need to start talking S*** about my mods paying off or not...The dragstrip doesn't lie my friend! I can tell you this...My truck runs 12's at the 1000 foot mark at the track however no mph is given at that increment. Since it is only 320 more feet to the finish line where I am running 14.50's @ 91, I doubt it takes 3 seconds to go 10 mph, especially on the top end. Maybe you should buy a g-tech or try to get to a track to get some more accurate times. :thumbs:

Finally 1/4 mile times 14.78 @ 93.5mph  went down to Greatlakes Dragway for open tuesday night.

Here's a track time for CraigW before his e-fans with only a pcmforless tune and a volant intake. He went 93.5mph through the 1/4 and just a slightly slower e/t. Is he stretching it a bit with these times because he doesn't have all the mods you have? I'm not trying to talk sh** with you, I just got the impression you felt I was lying about the times with your "stretching it a bit" comment. Craigs times just go to show times like I got with my stop watch aren't that unlikely for a tune and a CAI and sometimes more mods don't necessarily add up to quicker times. Sorry if you were offended.

Finally 1/4 mile times 14.78 @ 93.5mph  went down to Greatlakes Dragway for open tuesday night.

Here's a track time for CraigW before his e-fans with only a pcmforless tune and a volant intake. He went 93.5mph through the 1/4 and just a slightly slower e/t. Is he stretching it a bit with these times because he doesn't have all the mods you have? I'm not trying to talk sh** with you, I just got the impression you felt I was lying about the times with your "stretching it a bit" comment. Craigs times just go to show times like I got with my stop watch aren't that unlikely for a tune and a CAI and sometimes more mods don't necessarily add up to quicker times. Sorry if you were offended.

Not offended at all and I wasn't trying to say you were lying...that's not my style. Sorry if you misunderstood my wording...I was just trying to make a point that your times are probably not the most accurate, that's all. I beleive what your stopwatch said 100%. I was just being devil's advocate and trying to make a point so that somebody who may read this thread wanting to get those mods isn't disappointed in the long run, that's all. Maybe we should both :chillpill: ! :cheers:

Racerbubba, that's cool. :cheers:

2003 SS B.B., Sorry for getting off on a tangent, I hope my rather crude info helped a little. Either way I don't think you could go wrong with a tune from pcmforless or the others for that matter. As far as I can tell, it's the cheapest horsepower you can get dollar for dollar.

Archived