Not the normal F/I question

bobjr

i'd be thinking that a 408 with 8psi of boost and around 9.8:1 to 10.2:1 compression would be a pretty damn good driver. a D1SC on a mild 408 with 8psi of boost should be able to run 11's with out much trouble. the 6.0L's with a radix have touched 12's so i see no reason a 408 with a D1SC putting out 8psi wouldn't be able to run a full second quicker or so and leaving room for nitrous. i guess it's a matter of how fast he wants to go.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i'd be thinking that a 408 with 8psi of boost and around 9.8:1 to 10.2:1 compression would be a pretty damn good driver. a D1SC on a mild 408 with 8psi of boost should be able to run 11's with out much trouble. the 6.0L's with a radix have touched 12's so i see no reason a 408 with a D1SC putting out 8psi wouldn't be able to run a full second quicker or so and leaving room for nitrous. i guess it's a matter of how fast he wants to go.

If nothing else the 408 plus 8PSI will for sure take him to the limits of his 4L65E tranny. Faster than that creates other issues in these heavy trucks as Beserker has discovered pushing the envelope.

i'd be thinking that a 408 with 8psi of boost and around 9.8:1 to 10.2:1 compression would be a pretty damn good driver.

:withstupid: 408 + 8 psi working efficiently is going to be fast as hell. I you will need a bigger than street kit cent blower to get to the efficiently part.

If nothing else the 408 plus 8PSI will for sure take him to the limits of his 4L65E tranny.

And beyond. :eek::jester:

Ok so first off no there were no headers included in my exhaust system the reason for the expense of it and the reason i would like to reuse it is because of the pure size of it.It is 3" all the way with 3" cats 3" x-pipe and 3" straight thru flowmasters so would the straight thru flowmasters reduce the efficiency of the turbo much? Ceramic coating is not a problem for me. But mmy main question is if i went with the STS kit could the actual turbo replace the X pipe and have a custom 2 into 1 adapter going into the turbo and a 1 into 2 coming out of it? This way velocity is increased by combining pipes going into itt allowing it to spool faster and pressure is relieved after it alowing it to spool faster? Is this proper thinking? I appreaciate everyones input.

Ok so first off no there were no headers included in my exhaust system the reason for the expense of it and the reason i would like to reuse it is because of the pure size of it.It is 3" all the way with 3" cats 3" x-pipe and 3" straight thru flowmasters so would the straight thru flowmasters reduce the efficiency of the turbo much? Ceramic coating is not a problem for me. But mmy main question is if i went with the STS kit could the actual turbo replace the X pipe and have a custom 2 into 1 adapter going into the turbo and a 1 into 2 coming out of it? This way velocity is increased by combining pipes going into itt allowing it to spool faster and pressure is relieved after it alowing it to spool faster? Is this proper thinking? I appreaciate everyones input.

Yes the 2 into 1 is a good idea (its the way the kit comes for SSS :) ) The mufflers are fine for the street -- you won't get max performance from the turbo is all. I run a muffler on mine as I mentioned above and just have a cut out between the turbo and the muffler for when I want to go nuts.

You don't need the mufflers as long as you have cats though, although it will be super quiet with them and a nice sleeper effect.

what would be so wrong with pulling the 8psi from a radix instead? that way he can still enjoy his expensive exhaust.... as well as a beautiful whine, a 408 with a radix, yeah pricey but tried and true...? - please dont jump on my case about this one... im just simply asking!

So i have decided i am going to go the ATI prochrger route. I could not find a lot of info about it in the search and it seems more complicated than the roots style. So my question is what compressor should i use for it? Can i keep my A/C What other mods do i need to do to get the maximum out of it? Also can i run it and the 408 on a reprogrammed stock computer? Or do i need a standalone such as the megasquirt? What output HP wise would i be looking at with the ATI and the 408? How much tranny work would i need or would i hav3e to buy a bigger tranny? Thanx guys for all your help so far!

what would be so wrong with pulling the 8psi from a radix instead? that way he can still enjoy his expensive exhaust.... as well as a beautiful whine, a 408 with a radix, yeah pricey but tried and true...? - please dont jump on my case about this one... im just simply asking!

The problem with that, as have been proven, is you will not get that much boost with a 408. The Radix runs out of breath for strokers fairly easily. Would be lucky to get 5-6.

this post goes into some detail about why you wouldn't use a 408 with a radix. the radix with intercooler in place and a 2.75 pulley only makes around 10psi in a 6.0L. if you got 8psi out of a radix on a 408 it would be running at peak all the time and likely running into hot air frequently. it would also have to be a quite mild 408.

i would recomend going with the D-1SC. you're going to want to go as big as possible to feed a 408 without having to custom make brackets. you're going to want to run around a 2800-3000 stall to go with this. i'd recomend a vigilante torque converter for this. they will build the converter to stall at the rpm for your application. with a good dyno tune you could run the stock pcm with the 408 and 8psi. it would have to be someone pretty good at tuning since the maf would be maxing fairly quickly. i'd be guessing a mildly built 408 running 8psi should be able to put down 650-700hp without breaking a sweat and have boatloads of torque to go with it. as for the trans, i'd start out by simply having yours upgraded with better clutches, band, and shift kit parts. from there replace what breaks. your other option would be to buy a pre-built trans similar to what many on here have done. you can see some example in the trans section at the top of the forum posts. there is a post called trans modifications and some have posted in there what they are using. this information and asking around will get you some transmission advice. hope i covered all your questions, if you have more just ask. :thumbs:

So i will do the ATI w/ the D-1SC This is the biggest supercharger without custom brackets? What size pulley should i use? Also with 600-750Hp Will the tranny even have a chance of standing up? How much is Berserkers making that he breaks them so easily? THANX GUYS YOU ARE AMAZING HELP!

to the best of my knowledge the biggest that will fit without modification is the D-1SC. at this point at least. as for pulley size, that's something you find out as you go. order one for the specific model of truck it's going on and just change it a little at a time from there. keep and eye on a.i.t.'s and kr* as you go. as for the trans, it can be built to take it. you'll run into a failure or two down the road, but that's part of playing with power. you simply upgrade the parts that break.

Also with 600-750Hp Will the tranny even have a chance of standing up? How much is Berserkers making that he breaks them so easily?

600 flywheel hp ~= 456 awhp.

750 flywheel hp ~= 570 awhp.

The thing is, with a 408 you're going to be at the 550-600 ft/lbs to 800-850 ft/lb torque level. No stock trans will be alive at those levels, IMO. You'll need a built tranny and a torque converter.

We're thinking I'm in the 850 fwhp (650 awhp) range but don't really know for certain. The closest comparison is Parish's truck with a little different but probably equivalent cam, a front mount T76, but stock heads. He made 611 rwhp and 858 rwtq.

I'd check on LS1tech on the D1SC performance with 408s. Those CFMs are great, but what efficiency can the SC put out 1400cfm at? I dunno :dunno:

I thought Ben said he called ATI directly and they told him F1 for a 408? At any rate, I'd call them as well before buying anything. Let them tell you what will work for you.

i agree that ati would be the best advice. most companies though won't always agree with what you are trying to achieve with their product. i believe ben was shooting for around 15psi???....

Archived