Stickin with the 5.3L on the Z71 but 11.4:1CR!

I decided to take the path least traveled yet again and keep the 5.3L. The motor looks good so the machine shop will give it a nice hone and we'll swap out the pistons for some HO pistons, new rings and bearings.

I need to do the calculations for it but if the new flat top pistons being me up to 10:1CR then my old GTP stage 2+ heads will bring the total to about 11.4:1 CR or so. LOL I know this is kind of nutty but it should make awesome power for a 5.3L and as long as we design the cam correctly I shouldn't have any problems with 91 octane.

Overall this is going to save me a bunch of money over the 6.0L (for a new take out) and I think it will be cool to say I still have the 5.3L and show what it can do when pushed in a 4x4. :)

I'm so stoked I can't handle it! I miss my Z71 :( But even more than that, when the Z71 is finished we can start on the Silverado! :devil:

i'm liking this idea. :devil:  i want cam specs.  :D

I had a sneaky feeling you would. ;)

When we get around to designing the cam I'll defiantely post it up for ya and obviously any results good or bad from this setup. You know me, I'm not afraid to post up and tell the world when I've F'd up in hopes some can learn from my mistakes. :P

Most of the stuff is on order so I'm sure the cam will be chosen in the next few days.

I need to do the calculations for it but if the new flat top pistons being me up to 10:1CR then my old GTP stage 2+ heads will bring the total to about 11.4:1 CR or so. LOL  I know this is kind of nutty but it should make awesome power for a 5.3L and as long as we design the cam correctly I shouldn't have any problems with 91 octane.

I agree with Zippy. Don't think it's nutty at all. Everyone's solution is always to add more cubes. Your project to max out a N/A 5.3 will be an interesting one to watch. Keep in mind the old Chevy 327's were never anything to sneeze at. :)

It's just too bad you're limited to 91 octane. With the right tune you should be fine, but tuned for 93 that setup would be hot. :cheers:

Keep us posted. :thumbs:

Archived