more horsepower,better MPG.

BrianR

I just installed a K&N air filter and tornado and got 15 more horsepower and my MPG increased from 13 to 15 and is still going up, all for under 150.00 bucks. Any other suggestions for horsepower and MPG increases?

Thanks.

Brian :jester:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rmcswain,

No it is not. It is a performance PCM... you actually take out the computer or PCM and replace it with the one he sends you. He will send you a PCM that he has configued using something like ls1edit but much more high tech. It takes about 5 minutes to take your pcm out and replace it with his. If you want to keep yours it is 170 bucks more.. core charge. You cant go wrong dealing with Wester's and i hope we start seeing some people with these things in their rides because its just that good! I should be getting mine for my tahoe any day now and ill report what i find even though its not on a SS.. maybe Benkey will be the tester :) Call Lyndon at 1-888-WESTER-1 and he will really explain what goes on. Once you talk to him you will be hooked!

P.S.. Your computer is on the drivers side under the hood mouted up on the front fenderwheel... it has fins.. and has 4 connectors going into it.. for install just remove 4 connectors take old pcm out put new one in connect the 4 connectors and start it up!

What makes Westers different/better than Hypertech and the other chip mod devices (other than twice the price)? I'll have to admit, I'm very skeptical about ANY programer as I had the Hypertech on my old '99 Silverado and was not impressed - esp. at $395.

Sorry, Brian but I had a K&N filter on the above '99 SIlverado I just mentioned plus the Hypertech adjustments. I did not see ANY change in my mpg. Even though I did not have the tornado thingy I find that 2 mpg increase a little hard to believe. And how did you know you got 15 more HP. Did you dyno your vehicle?

Edit: We just crossed posted. ridnlow just answered some of my questions.

I just installed a K&N air filter and tornado and got 15 more horsepower and my MPG increased from 13 to 15 and is still going up, all for under 150.00 bucks.  Any other suggestions for horsepower and MPG increases?

Thanks.

Brian :jester:

Could I interest you in some valuable real estate in Florida? Lake front property, beautiful trees, abundant wildlife... :jester:

Sorry, but I am very skeptical of those Tornado things. I am of the opinion that they actually hurt performance a bit. In fact, I am even skeptical that the K&N is any better than the stock filter in out application. It may flow better on a per square inch basis, but the stock filter has at least 3 times the area. I have the K&N in my truck because it came with the supercharger, but I not convinced it makes much difference.

Only way to prove or disprove it would be to have the vehicle dyno tested with the mods and without. Or do the same at the track, with a larger margin for error but more realistic conditions (i.e. no "static air" excuses).

Uncle C, That was my first thought, too. I can't imagine in this age of almost $2.00 gas that mfg's won't squeeze everything possible out of an engine for to get better gas mileage - bragging rights if nothing else.

Let's face it, most of us don't do "performance" upgrades to get better MPG. We rationalize the cost with the "it'll save me money in the long run" thought and then floor it all the time because it's now even funner (is that a word?) to drive, thereby negating any positive MPG effects.

Call Lyndon at Wester's Garage and he can tell you how it gives you better gas mileage, but that's not why I'm buying it.

Rmcswain,

No it is not. It is a performance PCM... you actually take out the computer or PCM and replace it with the one he sends you. He will send you a PCM that he has configued using something like ls1edit but much more high tech. It takes about 5 minutes to take your pcm out and replace it with his. If you want to keep yours it is 170 bucks more.. core charge. You cant go wrong dealing with Wester's and i hope we start seeing some people with these things in their rides because its just that good! I should be getting mine for my tahoe any day now and ill report what i find even though its not on a SS.. maybe Benkey will be the tester :) Call Lyndon at 1-888-WESTER-1 and he will really explain what goes on. Once you talk to him you will be hooked!

P.S.. Your computer is on the drivers side under the hood mouted up on the front fenderwheel... it has fins.. and has 4 connectors going into it.. for install just remove 4 connectors take old pcm out put new one in connect the 4 connectors and start it up!

Thanks for the explanation ridinlow :cheers: Sounds simple enough to change the computer out :cool:

Archived