Wax Remover

rmcswain

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:jester: Just a tip, use Zaino and you won't have to worry about removing overspill from rubber/vinyl!

One other trick, if the area is not too large, use a toothbrush & Dawn dishwashing liquid. That should take the wax off without messing up a large area. :D

If that doesn't work then you can get a special purpose cleaner like Meguiars #39. :)

And if that's not available use a general purpose cleaner like Simple Green. Don't use anything ultra harsh, like Purple Stuff. :nono:

Exactly what I was going to say. As a matter of fact you can use Zaino on those parts and it works great. That is if you want them shiney. Then all that is needed is Z6 to maintain.

A Dupont product called Prepsol will take wax off. It's used by body shops to clean serfaces prior to sanding.

EEEK, Stop, Prepsol will soften paint and etch it. I use it all the time to get things ready to paint. Be careful using that stuff.

A simple fix to remove wax from plastic is to use Peanut Butter. Any brand will do. Apply to soft cloth and wipe the affected area. Buff to desired gloss. I have been using this for years and NO problems.

A simple fix to remove wax from plastic is to use Peanut Butter.

I'd believe it. :thumbs: The oil from the p-nut butter will put the wax back into emulsion and the fine "soft particles" will act as a scrubbing agent. I suggested using a non-polar solvent (water is a polar solvent) which will dissolve the wax. I never thought of trying to place the wax back into emulsion using an oil based solvent. And P-nut butter is most likely the least harsh. GREAT TIP! :thumbs:

If this is the case, then re-waxing the surface and wiping before it dries will have the same effect. Anyone want to try it?

Archived