Building our own SS

Hello everyone,

I love the forums I don’t think I have ever posted before but I'm always browsing. I have a 2004 red SS Silverado, but me and my dad want to build the ultimate SS Silverado and I was hoping everyone here might offer some opinions and some options for our new truck.

We have already ordered the truck it will be here in about a month and a half. The truck will be a 2005 regular cab short wheelbase red Chevy Silverado. We are going to remove the engine and running gear if our engine option requires us to.

What I was hoping you guys could help me with is if you had this truck with no motor and no running gear and price wasn’t a factor what would you do to build the fastest RAM RT killing machine you could. We want reliability and drivability and are aiming towards the truck looking like a GM production vehicle.

Some original ideas we had were to put that new 572 cubic inch 620HP big block in the truck but its carbureted and nothing will bolt up to it and like I said we want the looks of a production vehicle. Other ideas we has were to buy a 8.1 and put a blower on it or use the engine out of our trucks and put a blower on it but I'm not sure that outrageous enough. We want crazy.

Any ideas would be awesome I'm sure some of you have some experience in this area. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Derek

you could look into putting that new LS2 in it (rated at 400/400 i believe), and then slap one of those detroit speed turbos on it, or other turbos. i believe the detroit speed turbo is fairly stealth like and cannot be seen to easily under the hood.

500 HP 427 CID LS7.   :cool:

This is the new Z06 engine right? Can you buy this as a crate motor if so that would be awsome.

It may be available at some point which would be really cool.

I would guess you could approximate one now with a C5R block bored and stroked to 427 CI. With the right cam and heads 500 FWHP would be easy.

i would look into a 427 gen III small block with a twin turbo setup on it. for trans i'd go with a 4L85E. might as well 4 or 5 link the rear and get a 345 or so rear tire on it with a 19-22 inch wheel. find a pro-tec box from an 03' or so truck to lighten the rear. use the full interior from an SS for the appropiate look. switch the rear to a 9.5" like used in the SSR with a detroit locker and a 3.73 or 3.42 gear.

500 HP 427 CID LS7.   :cool:

This is the new Z06 engine right? Can you buy this as a crate motor if so that would be awsome.

I wonder if this will use the same block as the LS2?

Given trhat GM usually builds a little more meat into its blocks than what's needed for a given stock displacement, I wonder what the bore/stroke limits will be for the LS7.

500 CID Gen III/IV anyone? :cheers:

i would look into a 427 gen III small block with a twin turbo setup on it. for trans i'd go with a 4L85E. might as well 4 or 5 link the rear and get a 345 or so rear tire on it with a 19-22 inch wheel. find a pro-tec box from an 03' or so truck to lighten the rear. use the full interior from an SS for the appropiate look. switch the rear to a 9.5" like used in the SSR with a detroit locker and a 3.73 or 3.42 gear.

:wtf: It seems like you have thought about this for a while

:crackup::yellow_loser:

That sounds like a good plan. :thumbs:

i'd like to do one in a pro-touring style the twin turbo 427 should be able to make about 800hp on pump gas and have over 500ftlbs. of torque by 2200 or so. the 4L85E would be there to make sure that torque gets to the ground reliably and with some overdrive. a 9.5 rear with a detroit locker would get the job done in the rear and not be too heavy. a slight mini-tub in the rear would allow for larger tires and the pro-touring stance. the pro-tec box would save at least 50lbs from the weight of a normal box and keep the aero dynamics. the sportside box is light also, but not as aero dynamic. this is why the standard fleetside pro-tec box would be chosen. a 4 or 5 link system would be to get rid of the leaf springs allowing for the larger tires and offering a better system for ride height adjustment and handling abilities. i'd also use a toneau cover made from carbon fiber. use the SS interior with denali door handles inside, escalade door handles outside and a goodmark cowl hood. most importantly, make it black. :driving:

the protec box would likely have to be found at a salvage yard from a wrecked truck with one or one that was a take-off.

i personally wouldn't go with a manual for traction issue's and shifter size.

Archived