NJ State Inspection

mrrat1

Hello all, I have been putting off inspection because of the roller emission deal in NJ. Will the AWD system be OK on the single roller that the state uses. I have seen posts that we need special dynos and was'nt sure if I would do damage to the truck??? Thanks Dave K.

I wondered the same thing, I'm in eastern pa and I'm do up for inspection soon also and dont know how they can do the emissions on a single roller. I thought i read somewhere everything is read through the computer and we dont need to get on the rollers but i'm not sure. Hope someone else can clear this up

when i had mine done in ny. they didn;t dyno it and it still passed.

i would contact your dealer an see what they do for the awd inspection. i would stay away from the mom & pop places if you have minor mods.

good luck

:seeya:

Here in NY, they're not allowed to put the AWD's or the Auto-4WD vehicles on the rollers. This is a good thing because I've seen some inspectors rev the crap out of a vehicle to get it to pass only to blow an injector or gasket.

The 1st two years of a new vehicle are "Safety-Only" in NY.

No emissions check until 3rd year.

I am pretty sure NJ has stopped using the roller emisions testing for most vehicles 1996 and newer. They just do an OBD test now. You shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Here's a link to the NJMVC website with all of the inspection info. The OBD info is on the lower right if you scroll down.

NJ Motor Vehicle Commission Website

:mad: Inspections make me crazy! If you have any issues, let me know. I'll bet that I have been through them. No, NJ will not put you on the rollers. I am confused,...didn't you get the 4 year sticker when you first bought it? That was a great thing living in NJ! As long as you have no fault codes and your computer is in ready mode, you will walk right through. Although, NJ gave me some crap about loud exhausts in the past.

For PA, Go wherever is best for you, however when there is an issue...go to a place that is very keen on the OBDII inspection process. The whole thing should take only 5 minutes. Send me a PM if you find yourself in trouble. ;)

FOXFORMA check out this link on my post:

PA Inspection issues

Yes, it is a plug and go deal with a safety overlook (lights, solid pipes, no cracks in windshield etc.)

:mad:  Inspections make me crazy!  If you have any issues, let me know.  I'll bet that I have been through them.  No, NJ will not put you on the rollers.  I am confused,...didn't you get the 4 year sticker when you first bought it?  That was a great thing living in NJ!  As long as you have no fault codes and your computer is in ready mode, you will walk right through.  Although, NJ gave me some crap about loud exhausts in the past.

For PA, Go wherever is best for you, however when there is an issue...go to a place that is very keen on the OBDII inspection process.  The whole thing should take only 5 minutes.  Send me a PM if you find yourself in trouble.  ;)

FOXFORMA  check out this link on my post: 

PA Inspection issues

Yes, it is a plug and go deal with a safety overlook (lights, solid pipes, no cracks in windshield etc.)

Awesome info, I knew I read that somewhere but couldnt find it. Is inspection still the normal price or is it cheaper because we dont have to go on the rollers and all that stuff. Either way thanks for pointing that out. I still have about 2-3 months before inspection but I just wanted to get a handle on things first

Thanks everryone for posting the great links and sharing info!! I purchased used and out of state so have to go thru NJDMV=BS. If you went to the NJ link if you don't drive your SSS more than 3000 it can be considered a collector vehicle. Dave K.

Archived