Gaylord Lids

My X2000 lid is 5 months old and the paint on the lockes flaked off...They look like shit...pitted metal.....I called gaylord and they told me its a known problem and are sending me two new locks free of charge...BUT....they said the new ones will do it too in a matter of time good company for being truthful... any one else have this problem??? I am thinking of taking the old ones apart and in for a good powercoating..any other ideas????

I have the X-2000 speedstur and my locks did not come painted. They have some anti-corrosive coating on them (kind of like powder coating). I have had the cover for about 9 months through winter and they look as good as the day I bought it. :dunno:

mine are doing it too, another thing about the lid is the carpet on the bottom came detached in the middle and it sags badly its not the biggest problem but i wish they would fix it, i sent them an e-mail but never got a reply

mine are doing it too, another thing about the lid is the carpet on the bottom came detached in the middle and it sags badly its not the biggest problem but i wish they would fix it, i sent them an e-mail but never got a reply

mine too! im gonna use some spray adhesive to glue it back down.

guys, i dont think its just your gaylords doing this. my A.R.E. lid has this problem too. the paint always somehow flakes off of the lock lever and looks like crap. i just continue to use the touch up paint untill i get a better idea.

todd

• 2 weeks later...

I love the looks of the X2000 with Speedstur (Non look better).

However, I have noted the following problems that will have me going back to my local dealer for warranty repair/replacement soon:

(1) Carpet is sagging on the underside.

(2) Lid bows up in sun heat and flattens out at night. The bowing has revealed a very minor circular crack, which is probably where my local dealer patched it when it was damaged during shipping in package that did not provide sufficient protection.

(3) Black lock paint has flaked off.

Also, I saw a friend of a friend has an automatic hard tonneau cover lift unit on his Ford Lightning. I want to install such a mechanism to skip the double lock shuffle, where you try to open them quickly without scratching the paint. The Snugtop XL is very trick in auto unlock feature.

Rick R

ive had mine about 3 or 4 months now, the locks are crap now, theirs flaking EVERYWHERE and the stupid rubber on the sides falls off, i wanna superglue it so i wont have to put it back on the edges. i cant take it off either....im VERy disappointed with my gaylords and wish i woulda knew when i bought it what i know now, i would have bought a different company, im 100% unsatisfied with it

ive had mine about 3 or 4 months now, the locks are crap now, theirs flaking EVERYWHERE and the stupid rubber on the sides falls off, i wanna superglue it so i wont have to put it back on the edges. i cant take it off either....im VERy disappointed with my gaylords and wish i woulda knew when i bought it what i know now, i would have bought a different company, im 100% unsatisfied with it

I did not get any rubber trim on the edges with mine. It is smooth on the edges, painted to match and with the wing is the only cover that looks like it belongs on an SSS.

The stainless steel / aluminum hinge system is unmatched on the X2000. The ARE tries to emmulate the contours of the hood on the tonneau and it does not look right. The Snugtop looks kind of bulbous over the tailgate and I don't care for their hinge system.

However, the top circular locks could be eliminated and the underside carpet could be installed better. All hard tonneau covers probably bulge some. However, the Gaylord is flat enough where you can see it.

Rick R

I don’t know why all you guys are having so much trouble with your Gaylord X2000 lids. I have had zero trouble with mine. I love it, it looks and works great. I have had mine for just about a year and it still looks great. I have not had any problems with mine.

Archived