Trans Temps getting up there...

After my radix and Transgo shiftkit install my temps were a little higher than stock, but now that the weather is getting warmer it is sitting in the middle of the temp gauge, which says it is fine, but much warmer than it was stock, should I be concerned with this and how would I reduce the temp?

i would reccommend getting a much bigger tranny cooler. a few of us have the B and M supercooler that can be had from summit racing. it only runs about 40-50 dollars, and its easy to self install. that should help you a bit. you may have to get the middle sized one though(i have this one, and it works very well). iam not sure because of your intercooler that may get in the way. somebody will chime in iam sure.

Yeah as a first step get a bigger tranny cooler, big enough that you can see plenty of surface area exposed behind your blower intercooler. A bigger tranny cooler with your main radiator disconnected from the system will go a long way to reducing your tranny temps.

Like you I am experiencing warmer ambient air temps for the first time since my Radix install. I really have to run my truck hard to get the tranny temp up to 135 degrees or so, and it quickly cools back down from there in normal driving.

Another approach is to mount your Radix cooler down in the lower grill area. This however moves the intercooler away from your engine

fan(s) so it's a mixed bag. I would just get the B&M and try that first. :chevy:

your first step i would say is to turn on the tcc earlier. the radix tune has the tcc coming on a 58mph if i recall correctly which most tuners never touch. with some minor tuning you can run the tcc much lower and get the temperatures down. running around on the stall of the converter with a truck this heavy makes for trans temps that do nothing but crawl upward. from there i'd look into coolers or other changes.

Do you have the later model Radix kit, with the larger heat exchanger mounted in the lower bumper grille?

If not, I would look into getting it as your next mod. It is larger and your IATs will come down at a faster rate when running it hard and cooling efficiency will be increased. If you already have the larger one and it's still in front of the radiator, then get the few pieces it takes to mount in the lower opening.

Once that is done, you've made more than enough room to mount a larger tranny cooler.

You may also want to check to see if your tranny fluid lines aren't resting on your long tube headers. This can affect fluid temps also. There are also better fluids than can run cooler.

I have a large Charge cooler, but have made sure that the traz cooler is infront of that charge cooler, (charge cooler is between trans cooler and radiator) I am using Royal Purple Trans Fluid per recomendation from the local shop here, is that part of the problem? I am looking at getting E fans, and a 160 degree stat this weekend at D.P. performance, should this help?

i think the programming and 160 stat will help alot. that's probably the best place to start. even if you get a larger cooler, having the fluid run through a radiator that's over 190º constantly is just helping to keep the trans temps up instead of down. we'll see how it is with the new parts and tuning and go from there. if it needs the larger cooler to keep the temps down we'll set it up and try to keep it looking stock.

good point on the headers ben. i believe the supermax headers are not ceramic coated and therefore make everything hot surrounding it. might be worth heat wrapping the lines when they go past the headers.

Archived