Tire Rotation

BenKey

I really hate the fact that GM has potentially marred the surface of the factory wheels by the type of wheel weight thay have chosen. There are stick-on type of wheel weights that stick to the inside surface of the wheel. That's what they should have used. When your tires get rotated, chances of those weights going back exactly where they are, are pretty slim, and what's left is a damaged area that's really noticeable and sticks out.

Has anyone had to get it done yet? And if so, did it leave a marred area that's permanent? Thinking of getting mine done very soon to try and avoid it, hoping that damage occurs over a period of driving with the exposed type of wheel weights and preventing.

-Ben

the weights will not leave a mark, everyone puts these type of weights on non chrome wheels. Why do you need to balance them when you do the rotation?? just rotate them, they dont need to be rebalanced, but if you do balance, just tell them to use stick on weights, there will not be a mark from where the weight was

the weights will not leave a mark, everyone puts these type of weights on non chrome wheels.

YES they do leave marks...I had mine rebalanced right after I purchased my truck. They are not that bad...but would be after say...25,000 miles. It was not the place that removed them either.

Here in Reno it is tire service/balance hell. There is only only one guy in this town that seems to know what he is doing and he works at a crap tire dealer. It is unreal here, I cringe when I have to have any service. No one here knows how to calibrate a machine for wide wheels.

Guys:

It's just a trade off. The best balance comes from both a static and dynamic computer balancing that puts weights on the front and back. If you go for the looks, you give up the best possible balance. One trick a good tech can use however, is use the normal clip on weights on the inside of the rim and use stick on weights on the flat inner part of the rim as close to the front of the rim as possible. If the rims and tires are not that far out of balance in the first place, and therefore do not need a lot of weight to balance, you will get away with just a static balance with the weights on the back. Another trick is breaking the bead seal and turning the tire on the wheel to move the heavy spots of the wheel and tire to oppose and counteract - this is pretty labor intensive, but can be effective. It comes down to what priorities - smoothest ride and best tire wear vs. looks.

That's interesting. I didn't know that about turning the tire on the wheel, Chevelle. Thanks.

Something I just learned just a few years ago ( and I've been getting aftermarket wheels all of my adult life) is that you specify hug-centric wheels - period. If the mfg. doesn't make them find another wheel. I have never had balancing problems since I started requesting that.

Archived