Does Sirius sound better than XM?

misterp

Both Sirius and XM have identical sound quality. Signal quality might vary depending on where you are located in relation to the satellites, repeater towers, etc.

As stated above they're both digital and both use music formated specifically for digital rebroadcast (equivalent of WAV format)

And once again Dylan steps in with the correct answer.. NERD.  :jester:

:crackup:

You guys keep those kinds of comments up and I'll start posting wrong answers just to mess with you. :nono:

:jester:

I replaced my XM with Sirius and I've noticed better reception.

Sirius has 3 satelites XM 2

In my opinion sirius also has better programing

Actually they don't have more satellites. They 'piggy back' on 2 of echostars (dishnetworks) satellites and share that bandwidth w/ video service. This is why you can subscribe to Sirius thru Dishnetwork and not need any additional hardware.

So... technically XM has more 'dedicated' satellites while Sirius is just borrowing space on someone elses network. :smash:

I meant to ask if Sirius had better/higher bitrate...  but from what DVK says, they don't.  I like the technology, just wish it had more bitrate.

Mr. P. :)

Higher bitrate is on the horizon. Both companies have "unconfirmed" intentions of launching HiDef audio stations and video services in the next couple of years. :thumbs:

You guys keep those kinds of comments up and I'll start posting wrong answers just to mess with you.  :nono:

Actually they don't have more satellites. They 'piggy back' on 2 of echostars (dishnetworks) satellites and share that bandwidth w/ video service. This is why you can subscribe to Sirius thru Dishnetwork and not need any additional hardware.

So... technically XM has more 'dedicated' satellites while Sirius is just borrowing space on someone elses network.  :smash:

Crap so was that a serious answer or not?!? I'm so confused now!! :dunno::crackup:

Both Sirius and XM have identical sound quality. Signal quality might vary depending on where you are located in relation to the satellites, repeater towers, etc.

As stated above they're both digital and both use music formated specifically for digital rebroadcast (equivalent of WAV format)

Thats actually the wrong answer. WAV format is essentially raw sound. This is the most accurate digital reproduction of analog sound. Neither Sirius or XM has anything close to that of a WAV.

XM and Sirius broadcast close to 96kbps. At best you will see 128kbps. This is nowhere near CD quality. Cd quality for an MP3 is between 256-320kbps.

Sirius hardware has better potential for SQ than XM, however at this point they both will sound the same- less than audiophile quality.

as i own stock in Sirius (got it about 1.5 years ago), I will say Sirius is far more superior to XM! :D

If i haven't discredited my opinion yet, i am running sirius now, used to have XM then dumped it....well mainly cause howard will be on in a couple months :)

And once again Dylan steps in with the correct answer.. NERD.  :jester:

:crackup:

You guys keep those kinds of comments up and I'll start posting wrong answers just to mess with you. :nono:

I replaced my XM with Sirius and I've noticed better reception.

Sirius has 3 satelites XM 2

In my opinion sirius also has better programing

So... technically XM has more 'dedicated' satellites while Sirius is just borrowing space on someone elses network. :smash:

richard, i think you have it backwards, sirius owns their satellites while XM is borrowing them. F&*% me if im wrong, but that was one of the major reasons for me purchasing their stock a couple years ago :ughdance:

Archived