Does Sirius sound better than XM?

misterp

Howard is a sell out, you want a great show listen to opie and anthony on XM, lol.  That is some RAW Sh!t :yellow_loser:

they used to be on the radio here, same station that the local howard is on. I liked O&A until it started to become repetitive, same as howard i guess. They are funny, but they went away (church scene, i was listening when it happened too :D) and you have to pay extra for O&A on xm.

richard, i think you have it backwards, sirius owns their satellites while XM is borrowing them.  F&*% me if im wrong, but that was one of the major reasons for me purchasing their stock a couple years ago  :ughdance:

No actually I don't ya damn retard. :banghead:

XM owns their satellites... they're named "rock" and "roll" they are dedicated to XM serivce exclusively.

Sirius does have some of thier own satellites, but for the service people receive via a dishnetwork antenna it is piggy backed on echostars feed.

Thats actually the wrong answer.  WAV format is essentially raw sound.  This is the most accurate digital reproduction of analog sound.  Neither Sirius or XM has anything close to that of a WAV.

XM and Sirius broadcast close to 96kbps.  At best you will see 128kbps.  This is nowhere near CD quality.  Cd quality for an MP3 is between 256-320kbps.

Sirius hardware has better potential for SQ than XM, however at this point they both will sound the same- less than audiophile quality.

I never said it was in WAV format. The format they use is similar to WAV, but its a compressed format... still not an mp3.

If you're only receiveing 96kbps then you've got some bunk satellite radio hardware. My companies showroom XM receiver ( its a CRESTRON unit ) is pulling in signal at well over 200kbps and has the ability to pull in HD satellite radio as soon as XM releases the broadcasts.

Then again b/c I'm talking about installed hardware and not mobile car setups it may be different. I just know that the service is capable of much higher quality sound than 96kbps... maybe just not in car systems :dunno:

PMS

"Sirius uses three satellites, orbiting in elliptical figure-8 patterns above the United States. Sirius claims that with its satellites orbiting more nearly vertically over the U.S., there is less shadowing from tall buildings and canyons, and that at least two satellites are available at any time. "

Thats actually the wrong answer.  WAV format is essentially raw sound.  This is the most accurate digital reproduction of analog sound.  Neither Sirius or XM has anything close to that of a WAV.

XM and Sirius broadcast close to 96kbps.  At best you will see 128kbps.  This is nowhere near CD quality.  Cd quality for an MP3 is between 256-320kbps.

Sirius hardware has better potential for SQ than XM, however at this point they both will sound the same- less than audiophile quality.

I never said it was in WAV format. The format they use is similar to WAV, but its a compressed format... still not an mp3.

If you're only receiveing 96kbps then you've got some bunk satellite radio hardware. My companies showroom XM receiver ( its a CRESTRON unit ) is pulling in signal at well over 200kbps and has the ability to pull in HD satellite radio as soon as XM releases the broadcasts.

Then again b/c I'm talking about installed hardware and not mobile car setups it may be different. I just know that the service is capable of much higher quality sound than 96kbps... maybe just not in car systems :dunno:

I guess this is just splitting hairs, but a WAV is a WAV. Period. Saying that the format is similar is like saying your SS is the same as a Chevette, because they are both vehicles.

The format that XM uses is VBR, so what you are actually seeing will vary obviously.

Also, if you are getting 200kbps, keep in mind that XM's format is proprietary. This 200kbps XM is the equivalent of between 96-128kbps MP3. Thats really all that matters. Since XM's compression is NOT lossless, there is no way to get back those bits once they are gone.

XM is great, so is Sirius. That said, the signal quality is crap if you are used to good source material.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived