STS vs. Radix vs. ATI vs. ...

I did a barrel style, air-to-water intercooler on my sts truck. the kit just bolted right in no mod what so ever to the system. I just had to remove the intake pipe that sits directly below the passanger door and intalled the barrel intercooler there. The cool thing about it is that it add almost no extra volume to the whole system and the intake air temps have not been over 100* under full boost.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

now that is news i like to hear did you choose to go with the GT67 turbo? and what tuning option did you choose? sorry if i'm overloading you with questions just trying to get plenty of research in before i go all out. if your trans is still stock besides a TC there shouldn't be enough ponies to harm it correct? i think the 4L65E is good to 650 horses right? :sigh: that number sounds nice. :D

I got the gt-67 as per turbos recomendations, and I am happy with it. as far a trany goes i have the TB TC as well as full shift kit and billet servos. For tunning i'm using EFI Live with an LC-1 wideband o2 sensor, i dont know how to tune yet but im learning.

I got the gt-67 as per turbos recomendations, and I am happy with it.  as far a trany goes i have the TB TC as well as full shift kit and billet servos.  For tunning i'm using EFI Live with an LC-1 wideband o2 sensor, i dont know how to tune yet but im learning.

I didn't think you could put the wb O2 sensor in the charge line for a turbo? Unless you have it after the turbo? Maybe the LC-1 is different.

So is having the O2 before the cats a bad thing on a turboed truck. I can't have it after the turbo, i still have the stock cats on there.  :dunno:

That would be on the pressurized side. You can place your wb O2 after your turbo. You would just need to have an O2 bung cut in the pipe and leave your stock O2s where they were, if that has been the hole you were using. Plus, I don't think it's a good idea to remove the stock O2 from in front of the cats, if that is what you have been doing. The front O2s are pretty important to leave in place. The stock cats don't really have anything to do with that.

Cats don't really affect the reading of the wide band. I have the stock cats in my truck and WB is located after them. The reading seem to very accurate. I read a post some where from a reputable tuning shop in Australia, where a guy did a test using 2 identical WB calibrated at the same time and installed one pre cat and one post cat and made repeated test runs with them. He never had more then .1 or .2 difference in the reading ether way, for the most part the reading where identical. That was enough proof for me.

Edited by kbracing96 (see edit history)

I see, I welded a new bong just below the drivers side front o2 sensor, so I didnt pull out any of the stock sensors. On the install instructions to LC-1 it say that you shouldnt mount the o2 senser post-cats wich is why i installed it where i did. Maybe i should have asked if it was safe to install it behind the turbo from the begining. So the cats will not affect the reading on the 02 sensor? I may have to relocate the o2 sensor now.

Thanks for the replys.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Before i read this post i was set on a nitrous set up but now im just totally confused. I understand that they all have down falls. I just want as much low end torque as i can get as well as reliability and the capability to make more than 500hp. I do have to pull a trailer with three 4 wheelers every now and again. I think im more set on a SC now but i dont know which one. I have already done a few mods that i want to keep I would really like to have a mid 12 second truck that is reliable. My truck really dogs on the line but i can pull away from a lightning from a 60mph punch. What would everybody recommend?

• 1 month later...
What about Kenny bell!

I emailed Kenne Bell about a month ago, at that time, they were still working on the intercooler and said it would be sometime this fall before they had it finished. I have a friend who is using their kit on a Mustang and has had no problems since installed, which was January this year. Im waiting for the KB or may look at the new Whipple design.