Chroming Stock Wheels

xlman

Well, there have been plenty of great SS shots posted all over this forum - and I love 'em all.

I enjoy every minute that I'm behind the wheel of my Black Beauty. One guy picked up a unit that had the stock wheels chromed (by the dealer). Has anyone else done this yet on an SS? What about some comments - a bunch of us might strongly consider chroming the factory wheels if we could be confident of a great job. Tell us what you know - - - please! :cool:

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm in. I asked my dealer last week when I bought mine. He gave me the number of a local company that does it. Said it was about $120 per wheel. I'm very interested. Fortunately, I have my chrome 17s from my last truck I could use on a temp basis while the SS wheels are getting done. My main concern is that the work gets done properly and looks good when finished.

How are they doing the center plastic cap?

They plastic chrome with a vaccum deposit and then cover it with a clear spray paint. If they do it well, the clear coat should not distort the chrome.

dcairns, is that something most chrome shops can do or is it a specialty thing?

Just an FYI, the SS lineup in the latest Truck Trends shows the SS Truck with Polished wheels. Chrome or Polished, I like it a lot!

I was looking into having my wheels chromed, and what they were going to do is send the wheels out for chroming and the center caps to another place that does the plastic chroming. They are two different specialites.

So far I am holding off, as I like the polished look better than the chromed look, but I am not sure than can make the center caps match the softer look of the polished wheels.

So far I am holding off, as I like the polished look better than the chromed look,

I am just wanting to know if you know how hard it is to keep a POLISHED WHEEL CLEAN ON A DAILY DRIVER?? I had a set of American Racing wheels on my Tahoe and they looked like crap after 2 years. I could polish them and it would last for a month or so. Has GM offered a polished wheel before??? Maybe a factory wheel will be better.. :confused: I like chrome for the reason of staying clean easier.. :cool: Just my thoughts ;) .

The guy I was talking to about polishing them does a clear powder coat on them, so no polishing needed. How long the powder coat holds up is another matter. Have you heard how this process holds up?

Went by one of the dealerships to look at a new car for the wife and noticed a Black SS that had the stock wheels chromed. Looked pretty hot, but they added the cost of it on the sticker @ $1900.

Didn't get the chance to ask them what they had been smoking.

Archived