Time for a new PC

BenKey

I have decided to give my PC to my 7yr old and build me a new one. Curious what you guys recommend.

I know that I am going with a AMD Athlon64 processor. Beyond that, not too sure. I would like it to be middle of the road in the Athlon world. Somewhere in the 3000+ to 3400+ range.

What kind of case, motherboard, video card, do you guys/gals recommend?

I like the newer tooless cases and even the ones with the mobo trays, but there is like 8million of these things to decide on.

Pretty good prices here:

TigerDirect

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah. I just had to give up on my old 1997 Gateway Pentium II. The thing was just too slow. The good news is now you can get so much good stuff for your money. :D

Ben,

if your still active in the navy you can probably get a deal through Dell, and HP, or try the AFFES exchange website, I'm pretty sure you might be able to buld what you want and get it for a good price too.. and check out this site for promo codes you might be able to use while ordering it may save you some $$ on shipping and such...Current Codes

good luck :thumbs:

Chip: AMD

Motherboard: Epox

Ram: OCZ

Video Card: ATI

Hard Drive: Seagate

Thanks, Zippy.

Is this the stuff you have? What kind of case?

unfortunatly no. i have an old version with an XP2500 although heavily overclocked. i'm going with the 64 bit processor this fall when i go with the new dual core version. these were just some of the things i came up with after chatting it over with my roomate who is my computer expert i consult with. as for picking a case, try and stay with a brand name although from there it's just personal choice on them mainly based on looks. do you plan to do any video editing?

btw, my new laptop is an athlon 64 xp3700 though with a gig of ram and 100 gig hard drive. :D

Ben, You might want to look at this site CyberPowerPc and see what you can find. I have bought several PC's over the years from them and need to get another one right now myself. They have both Intel and AMD.

CD

Chip: AMD

Motherboard: Epox

Ram: OCZ

Video Card: ATI

Hard Drive: Seagate

Thanks, Zippy.

Is this the stuff you have? What kind of case?

I don't see the point of him getting a video card like that if he will not be doing anything with intense graphics....i would go for a bigger harddrive too.

As far as cases go, if you aren't looking for a flashy case with the clear side panel and LEDs everywhere the I would go with an Antec case. I built the old man a computer not too long ago and used one of their cases. The tooless feature is pretty cool, and it came with a large fan inside....also Antec is one of the better manufacturers of power supplys.

he may be better off with a lower end model and an all in wonder version. the graphics card though is something you tend to swap over from computer to computer if it's still doing the job. in a few years that card will still have support and be able to play a game or two. i'm currently running a 9800pro (and it's overclocked) and have never played a game on it yet. i also added on an all in wonder pro to go with it. i'm going to go with pci express for the next computer, but this computer i have now will serve for a nice backup machine that has a graphics card capable of more than i need and ability for extra duty use in the future.

A graphics card, even a basic ATI RADEON is a good idea just to take the load off of your main CPU.

Also, always always always-Newegg.

www.newegg.com

For cases, I would check out Lian-Li, or AMS gTower. Nice aluminum stuff for under $100.

Archived