Smoking Turbo Issues

Finally got time to work on the truck tonight with poor results. Basically the truck blows smoke like nothing I've seen. It's not to bad at idle, but a couple of rev's and its smoke city. Had all the neighbors checking me out to make sure I hadn't started the garage on fire.

I drove the truck back from the shop last Friday, and it smoked like crazy from the start. But I thought I'd go through the system and see what was wrong and found nothing wrong so I tried

1. Installed a breather on the valve cover. Still smoked like a steam engine

2. Removed oil return line from valve cover to ensure it was working properly. It was pumping nicely. No improvement here.

2. Installed a 54 NO2 jet in the supply line. Still sending Smoke Signals. I had to grind a male -4 fitting down to accept the jet. No improvement.

3. Removed the drain line at the bottom of the turbo and put the suction end in a clean bucket under the turbo oil outlet to make sure the turbo oil outlet was free of restrictions. The pump kept up to the flow very nicely but it still smoked like a grass fire. My wife was having fun smoking everyone out of the driveway though...

4. Even with the 54 jet its still got a pretty strong flow coming out of the turbo drain. I'd guess it would take about 10 seconds to fill a pop can.

Not sure what I'm going to do next....

Dennis,

Smoking turbos are ussually very bad news (ussually means there is no oil in the turbo), but it sounds like you are pumping plenty of oil. You might want to look inside the air inlet and exhaust to see if the vanes are covered in oil. That might indicate that your shaft seals are bad.

If your check valve is bad, the turbo would burn a ton of oil so you might want to pull off the feed line with the check valve on it and see if it leaks through the valve.

I was, it turned out that it was a bad check valve, STS sent me a new one, i installed it the same day and got pulled over for testing the truck (no ticket though). I was trying to get it to smoke. The old check valve was stuck open so it flooded the turbo with oil. After the new check valve the smoking turbo problem stopped. :thumbs:

I was, it turned out that it was a bad check valve, STS sent me a new one, i installed it the same day and got pulled over for testing the truck (no ticket though). I was trying to get it to smoke. The old check valve was stuck open so it flooded the turbo with oil. After the new check valve the smoking turbo problem stopped.

Over all are you happy with the setup? What kind of aftermarket add ons did you get, if any? Meth injection? BOV?...ect.

Yes im happy with it, boost is awsome, as for upgrades i have the gt 67 turbo with a .4bar waste gate, once i upgrade the fuel system and add an intercooler i will go for 10 pounds of boost, with the nelson tune the truck is running preaty good

I forgot to mention that a friend is going to upgrade his intercooler in his WRX, so im going to see if we can rig his stock intercooler into my truck and a BOV

When I had my truck on the dyno, the operator accidently leaned on the engine cover which in turn bent down the electrical portions of the oil return to the turbo. What happened is he bent a metal piece down and it touched another metal piece and fried the fuse. What this did is allowed the turbo to fill up with oil rather than returning it. Yep, smoked like a chu-chu train! :crazy:

The fix? Bent the metal piece away from the other metal piece and put in a new fuse. No more smoke!

Archived