MAF Screen

cgar

I currently have my intake appart because I am installing a K&N air filter. I was looking at some things I could do to improve airflow to the throttle body. I don't see any need for an MAF (mass air-flow) sensor screen, unless someone else can tell me otherwise.

:chevy: Calvin

I don't see any need for an MAF (mass air-flow) sensor screen, unless someone else can tell me otherwise.

Protecting it, keeping it in calibration, keeping it from getting damaged by some guy with a screwdriver trying to remove the screen.... :jester:

In my opinion, the MAF screen removal thing does no good and potential harm. It was designed that way for a reason, and the computer is calibrated for it to be that way. Introducing changes can introduce problems.

In my opinion, the MAF screen removal thing does no good and potential harm.  It was designed that way for a reason, and the computer is calibrated for it to be that way.  Introducing changes can introduce problems.

Exactly, I would just leave it. Here is some tech info on the MAF screen.

"The screen straightens the flow (laminar) and forces a uniform flow over the sensor wires to measure the amount of voltage required to maintain a constant temperature. The resulting voltage is converted into a frequency for a digital output. The varying frequency is then referenced to a set of lookup tables." Without the screen, the computer can not take a correct reading on how much air is entering the engine.

Better off buying an aftermarket MAF which has the screen already removed and has been re-calibrated to compensate for the difference in airflow.

A lot of talk about doing this lately in some of the latest truck magazines. Don't think most are recommending unless it has been re-calibrated. Only thing is, aftermarket MAF will cost you around $400 or so. I think you risk problems without forking over the cash, but I am sure someone on here has already done it.

I did decide not to remove the screen, cutting it would have been a messy job and I didn't want to hurt the hair pin resistors that string across the center of the MAF. Thanks for the info anyway. SS4EVER, what you quoted about the air becoming laminar before it reaches the resistors makes a lot of sense. The screen is long enough perpendicular to the flow where any turbulent air that flows through the MAF will become laminar before it reaches the sensors. As for buying a new MAF without a screen, I don't want to spend 400 dollar$ so I can potentially get 20 to 30 more cfm to the throttle body, but thanks for the idea anyway Ben.

How did you know I was going to remove it with a screwdriver Dave? :D

I pulled mine off when i put my intake on. there is a lot of people that say to do it and a lot that say dont, I figured that since i was there and it made a difference on my last truck, to go ahead and do it to this one. Im not really worried about it though because i plan on FI and getting LS1 edit and all that good stuff later anyways

• 1 month later...

comment and question on this subject, I owned a 2001 Vette until this truck.

Chevrolet decided that the screen was so important to the airflow that they removed it from all Z06 MAF. Their fastest car with the most air moved in intake, has it removed.

Thoughts on that?

When I yanked my screen on my ZR2, I noticed that it now had a notched step on the intake side. This didn't seem too good and looked at the other side where it is sloped. Sooo, I decided to modify it by switching the aluminum bodies with each other so that the slope is on the incoming side. It took very little modifying of the aluminum body (little ears to make sure they are joined to the plastic sensor correctly and to make sure that it is installed in the right direction) to make it fit. It was definetly an improvement, and was on there for years before I sold it without any problems. But unless you are willing to either fill in the notched area or switch the aluminum pieces around, I would say you are probably better off not messing with it. Because once you mess the wire up, that's it. Into the trash. I also remember milling the restrictor plate off the throttle body. Anybody know if these have those as well? I haven't looked yet.

On the 4.3's there was a restrictor plate (mixing enhancer, yeah right!) on the backside of the throttle plate. Open the throttle plate (if even possible with the new drive by wire) and look on the back side of it. The 4.3 had a curved plate that obviously restriced the intake by looking as though it was only 3/4 open.

comment and question on this subject,  I owned a 2001 Vette until this truck.

Chevrolet decided that the screen was so important to the airflow that they removed it from all Z06 MAF.  Their fastest car with the most air moved in intake, has it removed.

Thoughts on that?

I came across an article which spoke of this exact reasoning behind no MAF Screen on the Z06, just took me a while to find it again.

Engine breathing is paramount to making horsepower. GM improved engine breathing in three ways for the Z06 engine. They improved the airflow into the engine, they increased airflow inside the engine, and they made it easier for the exhaust gases to exit the engine.

Starting with the air cleaner, the size of the opening for air entry was increased. This sounds simple, but a lot of research was needed to increase air entry but also keep out water on rainy days. The next improvement came by removing the air straightener screen from the mass air flow sensor. The screen is needed in many airflow sensors to prevent turbulence in the airflow, which would cause the sensor to send false readings to the engine's computer. On the Corvette, the air intake ducting from the air cleaner to the intake manifold was already straight, so the straightener screen in the airflow sensor was not needed. Less restriction means more airflow. 

Full Article here

How GM hotrods the Small Block Chevy

Some more talk on the MAF screen removal:

Here

comment and question on this subject,  I owned a 2001 Vette until this truck.

Chevrolet decided that the screen was so important to the airflow that they removed it from all Z06 MAF.  Their fastest car with the most air moved in intake, has it removed.

Thoughts on that?

I came across an article which spoke of this exact reasoning behind no MAF Screen on the Z06, just took me a while to find it again.

Engine breathing is paramount to making horsepower. GM improved engine breathing in three ways for the Z06 engine. They improved the airflow into the engine, they increased airflow inside the engine, and they made it easier for the exhaust gases to exit the engine.

Starting with the air cleaner, the size of the opening for air entry was increased. This sounds simple, but a lot of research was needed to increase air entry but also keep out water on rainy days. The next improvement came by removing the air straightener screen from the mass air flow sensor. The screen is needed in many airflow sensors to prevent turbulence in the airflow, which would cause the sensor to send false readings to the engine's computer. On the Corvette, the air intake ducting from the air cleaner to the intake manifold was already straight, so the straightener screen in the airflow sensor was not needed. Less restriction means more airflow. 

Full Article here

How GM hotrods the Small Block Chevy

Some more talk on the MAF screen removal:

Here

Awesome. I always wondered about that. So, since we have all those different corners to go around, this is not such a good idea. Or are we just back to square 0?

Archived