lowered my ss need some help

turbogn87

Hey guys I need some help, I got the McGaughys kit on my truck done 2 in the front and 4 in the back. I took it to a guy I thought I could trust. Well here's my problem. 1 he charged me way to much from what i see you guys paid. 2 the front is sitting about 1 inch higher than the back and the back has way to much bounce in it. What did this guy do wrong or what didnt he do. Im not very mechanical inclined I just know what looks good LOL and from reading the posts and pics of everyone on here with those kits I dont think I should be having these problems. I tried to talk to the guy about it and hes like I done just what the kit told me to do with the parts. So Im kinda lost. Could anyone out there be anyhelp. Thank you very much

take a look under the back end and see what holes he used to mount everything...also check to see if the truck is riding on bumpstops. i would assume this for sure, unless you told him to cut them down and mount them directly to the frame.

as for the mounting holes. the hangers are supposed to be in the 2" hole and the shackles are supposed to be in the 1" holes...

hope that helps.

take a look under the back end and see what holes he used to mount everything...also check to see if the truck is riding on bumpstops. i would assume this for sure, unless you told him to cut them down and mount them directly to the frame.

:withstupid: Do a search on the kit and suspension issues we've all had. The bumpstops just need to be modified, and if youre not happy with the height in front you can always tweak the tb's.

as for the mounting holes. the hangers are supposed to be in the 2" hole and the shackles are supposed to be in the 1" holes...

hope that helps.

I thought it was the other way around. I have both the shackles and hangers in the 1" holes and I was going to put the shackles(rear) in the 2" (upper) holes.

I also lowered my front about 3/4" with the TB's too. I'm pretty happy with the way it sits now, but I have the slight vibration at 70-80mph.

garage_gallery-24-1095635909.jpg

I had the crossover installed in the exhaust last week. I was having a problem with unequal pressure in each pipe.

Back to the lowering question.........

hope that helps.

I thought it was the other way around. I have both the shackles and hangers in the 1" holes and I was going to put the shackles(rear) in the 2" (upper) holes.

I also lowered my front about 3/4" with the TB's too. I'm pretty happy with the way it sits now, but I have the slight vibration at 70-80mph.

Mine sits identical to yours and I have mine (rear) set up the exact same way as you do.

76931965.jpg

I think what SSminneapolis was reffering to was the way McGaughy's tested this kit. That is the way Mike @ McGaughy's told me it should be set up in the rear to eliminate the vibration.

Late- Alex

hope that helps.

Mine sits identical to yours and I have mine (rear) set up the exact same way as you do.

76931965.jpg

I think what SSminneapolis was reffering to was the way McGaughy's tested this kit. That is the way Mike @ McGaughy's told me it should be set up in the rear to eliminate the vibration.

Late- Alex

:withstupid:

DSC00999.jpg

If you lower 2" or more you will need degree shims to correct pinion angle I don't care what kit you use our how it is set up you will more than likely get a vibration if you don't feel it your probably just not paying attention enough to notice it. I can understand where they can say putting the hangers in the 2" holes and the shackles in the 1" holes will lessen vibration because you are just moving the whole rearend being the leafsprings and housing up square under the truck where if you did the opposite and put the shackles at 2" and hangers at 1" you are actually changing the pinion angle itself. Either way you are changing the u-joint angle and it will need to be corrected.

If you lower 2" or more you will need degree shims to correct pinion angle I don't care what kit you use our how it is set up you will more than likely get a vibration if you don't feel it your probably just not paying attention enough to notice it. I can understand where they can say putting the hangers in the 2" holes and the shackles in the 1" holes will lessen vibration because you are just moving the whole rearend being the leafsprings and housing up square under the truck where if you did the opposite and put the shackles at 2" and hangers at 1" you are actually changing the pinion angle itself. Either way you are changing the u-joint angle and it will need to be corrected.

not necessarily true... I know for a fact a number of people (myself included) haven't had a single issue w/ vibration.

Archived