Yet another 22” tire thread.

Black03SS_NJ

For the record, I have searched the Forum extensively prior to posting and found nothing on point...

I am about to install my 22s and I need to pick a tire size. I have already chosen the Toyo Proxes S/T. I am torn between the standard 305/40/22 (which most 22 guys seem to be running), and the 285/45/22, which no one seems to be running. FYI, rim width is 9.5”.

Stock tire height is 31.8” versus 31.6” for the 305s and 32.2” for the 285s.

Revs/mi are 655 (stock), 657 (305s) and 645 (285s).

What has really swayed me is the suggested rim width: 10-12” for the 305s and 9-10.5” for the 285s. The 3lbs per tire weight savings is nice too. I also like the idea of a little more tire height (.6” taller) and more sidewall for the 285 (.2” more), versus the 305. I don’t mind not having the extra 20mm of width. I am in the northeast and can’t imagine I’ll ever lower my SS.

Can anyone think of a good reason not to go with the 285/45 over the 305/40? I can’t imagine I am going to have clearance problems with the 285s if 305 guys don’t.

Any opinions? I need to order ASAP.

Well, seeing no downside, I went with the 285/45. They are mounted and balanced and I should be able to get them on tonight or tomorrow. Just eyeballing it, they are visibly taller than stock, and should fill the wheelwell of a non-lowered truck better than a 305/40. Will post pics when they are on.

Matt

Well, seeing no downside, I went with the 285/45.  They are mounted and balanced and I should be able to get them on tonight or tomorrow.  Just eyeballing it, they are visibly taller than stock, and should fill the wheelwell of a non-lowered truck better than a 305/40.  Will post pics when they are on.

Matt

Good choice, I am running the same size and I am very happy.

Archived