Cam???

First off…I want to thank everyone on here who’s responded to my questions; especially TurbochargedBerserker, and Zippy you guys have been tons of help. I’ve worked on circle track race car’s all my life and know how “old” some questions can get!

With that being said…I’m looking to put a “bump-stick” in my 5.3, and would like a little direction with these newer motors…

Truck has/will have…

-Will stay NA

-K&N 77

-Shorty headers (“hacked” off muffler)

-Pcmforless tune

-Stall (would like some advice on brand)

I won’t be pulling anything, so that’s not an issue. This will be an everyday driver, so I can’t (or shouldn’t) go too radical, but would like a little “lope”. I don’t have a stall yet, but will add with the cam. One more thing...What kind of project is it to swap cams in this thing. I’ve done it a million times in SB 350s, 383s ext…but pry wouldn’t know how to set my rockers in this thing (assuming they are adjustable??). I know there’s a ton of questions here, and all help is greatly appreciated!!

Josh-

Try going to LS1 how-to and read their tech article on a cam swap.  It's on a f-body, but all is pretty much the same.  Very easy.

These motors also have lifter keepers built in. As long as you do the swap with the motor ICE COLD -- as in not even fired once in the past 12-24 hours, you don't even need the pen magnets.

Nope. No stall as of yet. Street wise it dosen't need one but performance wise I wanted one stock soooooo.......... Im thinkin somethin like a TB converter would be a perfect match for this cam though. :D

• 3 months later...

a stock 5.3L in my opinion needs more converter. adding that 265HR high lift would simply make that worse. even as minor of an upgrade as a trailblazer converter would make that worlds better to drive. the flash stall of a stock 5.3L with stock converter is around 1400-1600. going with that cam would simply make it take longer before it got into the good part of the power band. a loose converter also assists in helping to smooth the idle with a bigger cam. if you went with the 265HR high lift you'd want at least 2600-3000 stall. the trailblazer converter behind a 5.3L with that cam is going to stall around 2400-2600. right on the edge of being enough, but far better than stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived