Body roll

r8rs4lf

I'm getting pretty burned out on the body roll my truck has. I don't know if the McGaughy's drop made it more noticable or what. Everytime I turn left or right, I can feel the truck lean big time. I'm wondering is there anything out there to stabilize this????

Any help????

TIA.......

Late- Alex

I just got off the phone with Hotchkis and the guy told me they have a kit for the SSS which is $557.10. I also told him I had added a drop to it and heard this kit didn't work with the drop and he told me he could guesstimate shorter end links to make the kit work. I'm not too far from them and will probably go there to pick the kit up if I order it. He said he would take a look at my truck and see if he wanted to put together a kit for our (dropped) application. Anyonle else interested in this???

Have any of you installed this kit from Hotchkis with the 2/4 drop from McGaughy's?????

Did this kit make a significant difference????

Was the install easy, any drilling etc????

TIA

Late- Alex

As cheap as it is going to be for them to develop a product for market I couldn't see them NOT offering for sale, especially with all the lowered Escalades running around too...

I have not done the drop but do have the Hotchkis bars. I think they are overpriced but they will flatten the truck out. The bars fit the same on all trucks (ss) lowered or not. The end links are where the difference will be. You should be able to test fit the bar by holding it next to the rear end and have them measure for the end links. The fronts should also be alittle shorter than stock. Hell....just see if you can get a couple of different bolt lengths and spacer tubes. For almost $600 they should be able to do that. Ask them to help you so they can figure out the correct end links and rear link sizes and record the numbers. They can them sell them to people with lowered trucks and not have to keep guessing which ones will fit. I am sure it will help out the others here who have asked that very question.

quickmedic1

I looked at your site and noticed you had to drop the gas tank to do the rear. I had to do that to fix my drop and it was a bitch!!!! Maybe because the tank wasn't empty. :banghead:

I know you said it was overpriced, but did it make a significant difference and would you buy it all over again?

Late- Alex

Alex-

See if they are willing to develop it and sell on a group purchase. I'd be in for one.. I know my brother would be and I'm sure plenty of guys here on the site that are lowered would buy.

tbyrne sells them for a decdent pirce when they have a sale, i would be in for a gp, but i was told that you could not order different end links, i had to order the end links esxtra at an extra charge if i wanted shorter ones

Alex-

See if they are willing to develop it and sell on a group purchase. I'd be in for one.. I know my brother would be and I'm sure plenty of guys here on the site that are lowered would buy.

I'll call him back tomorrow and see what he can do.

I did check Tbyrne's site and he wanted $479.00 I believe. I just don't know how much drama it would be to get the shorter end links through him instead of getting them directly from Hotchkis.

It definately would be nice to get these through a GP. I'd be willing to take my truck to Hotchkis for them to look and measure for shorter end links for the GP.

I'll see what I can do.............

Late- Alex

Sway bars in general will make a big difference.  I only added a Helliwig rear anti-sway bar, and it helped things quite a bit.

How much was that sway bar and where did you get it????

I did notice we have a sway bar up front from the factory, is it just not doing the job anymore because of the drop???

It would be nice to know what the differences are between the different sway bars. I wonder if Hotchkis is just one of the major brand names out there, hence the price for them.................

EDIT: I did find the diameters for the Hotchkis and Hellwig bars.

Front:

Hotchkis- 1 7/16" hollow front

Hellwig- 1 5/16" front

Rear:

Hotchkis- 1" hollow rear

Hellwig- 1 1/8" rear

Late- Alex

quickmedic1

I looked at your site and noticed you had to drop the gas tank to do the rear. I had to do that to fix my drop and it was a bitch!!!! Maybe because the tank wasn't empty.  :banghead: 

I know you said it was overpriced, but did it make a significant difference and would you buy it all over again?

Late-  Alex

The gas tank does not have to come out but rather moved over and is very easy to do when the tank is almost empty. Don't forget to take out the 3 screws at the filler neck.

Would I do it again.....Absolutely!! I did not like the roll the rear end had on bends. Just used to my Trans Ams I guess. A friend of mine who is a cop was surprised to see how well it will do in the bends now. We have the added bonus of awd. You will like it.

Try the group purchase angle since they have money to gain if they will work with you on the end link sizing. I checked my rear end links and they are about 8" at the bolt hole centers. The fronts I reused the factory bolts, spacer tubes and washers, nut washer due to Hotchkis sending the wrong length front link bolts. I did use there poly bushings though.

Just a guess on my part but I would think for every inch you drop you should nedd 3/4- 1 inch shorter end link.

quickmedic1

I looked at your site and noticed you had to drop the gas tank to do the rear. I had to do that to fix my drop and it was a bitch!!!! Maybe because the tank wasn't empty.  :banghead: 

Late-  Alex

The gas tank does not have to come out but rather moved over and is very easy to do when the tank is almost empty. Don't forget to take out the 3 screws at the filler neck.

Would I do it again.....Absolutely!! I did not like the roll the rear end had on bends. Just used to my Trans Ams I guess. A friend of mine who is a cop was surprised to see how well it will do in the bends now. We have the added bonus of awd. You will like it.

Try the group purchase angle since they have money to gain if they will work with you on the end link sizing. I checked my rear end links and they are about 8" at the bolt hole centers. The fronts I reused the factory bolts, spacer tubes and washers, nut washer due to Hotchkis sending the wrong length front link bolts. I did use there poly bushings though.

Just a guess on my part but I would think for every inch you drop you should nedd 3/4- 1 inch shorter end link.

Whewwwww! :driving: Just move it over, that's better than having to drop it.

I'm seriously looking to install some swaybars on my rig, I just have to figure out which ones.

Late- Alex

I had the Hotchkis TVS on my last truck - '99 GMC. It was a 2/4 drop with the sway bars. It is one of the best things that you'll ever do to your truck, IMO. Add that with some Edelbrock IAS shocks and your truck will drive better than most stock sports cars.

Hotchkis is a little bit more expensive than others, but arguably the best made. I would definitely do again and will.

Dropping the tank completely wasn't necessary for me, but I did have to tilt one end down. Others I heard have gotten away without that even. The tank is an easy thing, if it's near empty. Worth the hassle, trust me.

dont they sell different lenghts of endlinks at autozone? for the ricers who have dropped thier cars???I have seen them, they come with poly bushings...they will just have to be 2" shorter?

just a thought

what about solid v. hollow?

there were some serious 96ImpalaSS sway bars that were solid? Would the solid be better, even if it is smaller????

now I want sway bars :D

Archived