iPod Interfaces

I am getting an iPod for my Birthday, so I have been searching around here to see what is available for interfaces to the stock Bose stereo. If I am getting this right, here are the choices:

AUX-POD from PAC = Loss of XM

iPod2Car = Loss of XM

iPOD Interface from USA Spec = Not yet released

Does this mean I will have to go with a FM Modulator till they get these things working without losing the XM? Or go with a "dumb" AUX interface that will just take the audio from the iPod (no steering wheel controls).

I am getting an iPod for my Birthday, so I have been searching around here to see what is available for interfaces to the stock Bose stereo.  If I am getting this right, here are the choices:

AUX-POD from PAC = Loss of XM

iPod2Car  =  Loss of XM

iPOD Interface from USA Spec  =  Not yet released

Does this mean I will have to go with a FM Modulator till they get these things working without losing the XM?  Or go with a "dumb" AUX interface that will just take the audio from the iPod (no steering wheel controls).

You are correct, I can get you a deal on this if you want the aux2car or the Ipod2car. LMK. -c-

i have the ipod2car...and it works great. i tried a FM modulator for a while but the sound quality was very poor. if you choose to go the FM modulator route for the time being..the best one i found was the belkin. it lets you select the FM freq. so you can choose the strongest freq and get the best results...

fast4popper - Is there any hope they will be coming out with a gizmo that will allow me to retain my XM and operate the iPod ? If it is just a matter of waiting for them to develop the right thing, I can deal with a FM Modulator for a while. It seems like it would just be a matter of combining existing stuff (Aux2car and iPod2car). Well, OK, perhaps a bit more complicated than that :D But I can't see spending the money on the Aux2Car as a short term solution.

SSminneapolis - Did you have an FM Modulator (plugs in line with your antenna) or a FM Transmitter? The FM Modulator is supposed to be much better as it won't have to compete with existing radio broadcasts.

the one i had for my iPod was not in-line. it was simply just a unit that uses the cig lighter for power. it worked well..just not well enough for me to ever do it again.

as for the in-line ones. i had one of those in my vehicle prior to the SS for a MP3 player. it did a decent job but the sound quality was about that of the other one...

fast4popper - Is there any hope they will be coming out with a gizmo that will allow me to retain my XM and operate the iPod ? If it is just a matter of waiting for them to develop the right thing, I can deal with a FM Modulator for a while.  It seems like it would just be a matter of combining existing stuff (Aux2car and iPod2car).  Well, OK, perhaps a bit more complicated than that :D  But I can't see spending the money on the Aux2Car as a short term solution.

SSminneapolis - Did you have an FM Modulator (plugs in line with your antenna) or a FM Transmitter?  The FM Modulator is supposed to be much better as it won't have to compete with existing radio broadcasts.

Yes they WILL have a replacement out soon, not sure when though

I do not have an Ipod But I do know that some of the people with the are fanatics. If I had one and wanted to run it thru the car... I would wait! I will let the list know when it will be out and what I can offer them for. Hope this helps -C-

Ok, so I will just get a wired FM Modulator for now.  Can you recommend a good one?  Or are they all about the same?

get a wired one, they make fm transmitters that work for crap, any of the wired ones seem to be fine, we use the Audiovox ones, they are cheep and they work

Dave,

Didn't Jeff post a while back that he had an ipod and was still able to retain his XM? Pretty sure that's what he had said.

Don't forget to get you a pro-clip also.

LogJamElectronics is a company that sells em.  They sell the PAC interface

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/pacauxpod1.html

Connects to 12-pin connector in rear of radio. If factory XM is an installed option, it will need to be disconnected to install the AUX-POD

I have the same piece for sale if anyone wants it, 120$ shipped to your door.

That is interesting Capt Walker. On PAC's application guide, they lump 2003-2005 together. Did you use the AB-GM12 and the AUX-POD ? I don't find that foot note about losing XM in their application guide that I used to see.

Also found this on PAC's website :

XM retention with AUX-BOX or AUX-POD technical brief

I also found this interesting new bit elsewhere on the web:

Chevy HHR Will Make It Simple To Bring iPod Along For The Ride

The new GM radios include an auxiliary channel and front mounted auxiliary input jack, so that an iPod or other audio source can be easily plugged in and played through the vehicle audio system.

Not quite an integrated iPod interface, just a AUX jack, but a bit step in the right direction :thumbs:

Archived