New GTO 6.0 or '02 Camaro SS?

smkdu

There's already a Monaro w/a 427, but it was just a prototype, which GM decided not to do-not smart, because I'm sure would have bought this car, whatever GM was to call it in the states, Pontiac, Buick, or Chevy.

I concede that the Monaro just looks too plain. And at its best the GTO is mid-level trim and equipment compared to what is available. I also dont like the fact that there is no OnStar , no climate control, and no factory sunroof options. I understand that OnStar would require a redesign of the whole body electrical system, but why make it a second rate car, and leave off good accessories Americans like? Why not make all Monaro options available if they are going to sell Monaros in this country? The ground effects and body kits on the newest ones down under look awesome.

I could take or leave the Monaro. But I like the Commodore and HSV Clubsport. I spent 3 weeks in a VY Series II Calais last month---As basic sedans go, it was one of the best driving newer cars I have been in. As a rental, it gave me a good picture of what one would be like with 38,000 miles on it---I couldnt find anything wrong with it (and believe me, I _looked_ :) ). Cant wait to try a 6.0 in the same car or a Senator next time.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
There's already a Monaro w/a 427, but it was just a prototype, which GM decided not to do-not smart, because I'm sure would have bought this car, whatever GM was to call it in the states, Pontiac, Buick, or Chevy. 

I concede that the Monaro just looks too plain.  And at its best the GTO is mid-level trim and equipment compared to what is available.  I also dont like the fact that there is no OnStar , no climate control, and no factory sunroof options.  I understand that OnStar would require a redesign of the whole body electrical system, but why make it a second rate car, and leave off good accessories Americans like?  Why not make all Monaro options available if they are going to sell Monaros in this country?  The ground effects and body kits on the newest ones down under look awesome.

I could take or leave the Monaro.  But I like the Commodore and HSV Clubsport.  I spent 3 weeks in a VY Series II Calais last month---As basic sedans go, it was one of the best driving newer cars I have been in.  As a rental, it gave me a good picture of what one would be like with 38,000 miles on it---I couldnt find anything wrong with it (and believe me, I _looked_  :)  ).  Cant wait to try a 6.0 in the same car or a Senator next time.

why in the world would OnStar require a complete electrical redesign?? that makes no sense.

Cause the Aussie car is wired so much differently than the US ones-basically the wiring harness in it is more like something you would find on a European car than on the GM products we are used to.

edit: Drove another one today---it definitely grows on you. I think I would go with it over an 02 SS, in terms of daily useability and that it seems a better long distance car...So I can't rule out getting one one day.

I would go with the GTO. I had an 03 Silverado SS, traded it in on an 04 GTO. That was before I knew the LS2 would be in the 05's. I love the GTO, it is a squeak free, nice ride. I also have a 96 WS6 T/A that is fast and loud, but quite the squeaky bumpy ride. I miss the truck at times, but I tend to forget about it when I get in the GTO.

I went with a 04 GTO b/c all the banks around here would not accept a loan for more then the car was worth, and the Camaro still fetches a pretty penny for being disbanded 3 years ago. I really wanted that convertible :tear: I like the 05 but I got a really good deal on my 04. The paid off the reamaining balance and I keeped the rebates along with a 100,000 mile bumper to bumber($50 co pay after 36,000) but what the heck I saved thousands and as for the 50 HP and 30 ft/lbs I can make that up really easily with all the money I saved.Plus I can buy an aftermaket hood that actually has a real working ram air for about 200 buck less then the 05's scoop hood(No ram air)Not to mention all the money I have coming back from On Star and XM Radio(The only things I'll really miss) Exterior wise they could have done better but it attracts a lot of attension and b/c LS1 engine been around for so long it is easily modifiable w/o the worry of voiding a factory warrenty(I already checked :thumbs: )

Congrats on the new goat. Yes, it attracts lots of attention. Every time I fill up with gas somebody is coming over asking about it.

For everybody who thinks the GTO is a bloated cavalier or a grand am.. :chillpill: .Test drive one, you will change your mind real quick. My Silverado SS was nice, but the GTO is much more fun to drive.

I hear that I had 4 people come over to admire the way it looks.And they really loved the nasty burnout it did when I left :thumbs: I ordered some LS6 heads and cam to bump the hp up to 400 and the lft/lb to 400. Not a bad start for the new ride. I have the PN's if you have the 5.7. I also have the SLP performance dual exhaust loud mouth system enroute so she should really fly and sound great doing it. :driving:

I test drove the new GTO 6.0 today and my what a ride.Corvette engine in a Grand Prix and a sub 13 second 1/4. The Camaro SS run about 13.2 in the 1/4 with the LS1 345 Hp. Question: If you had to choose which would it be? New goat, or the fast propuction camaro? :uhoh:

As noted by others the GTO is based on the Holden Monaro, not the Grand Prix.

GTO is getting better, but tires and suspension are woefully inadequate for that power level or handling. It needs some flares and bigger wheels tires and suspension tweaking. The LS1 F-Bodies handle pretty damn well and can put the power to the ground.

Rick R

I test drove the new GTO 6.0 today and my what a ride.Corvette engine in a Grand Prix and a sub 13 second 1/4. The Camaro SS run about 13.2 in the 1/4 with the LS1 345 Hp. Question: If you had to choose which would it be? New goat, or the fast propuction camaro? :uhoh:

As noted by others the GTO is based on the Holden Monaro, not the Grand Prix.

GTO is getting better, but tires and suspension are woefully inadequate for that power level or handling. It needs some flares and bigger wheels tires and suspension tweaking. The LS1 F-Bodies handle pretty damn well and can put the power to the ground.

Rick R

I know what the GTO is based on it was a joke :lol: The f bodies did handle well but it feels like the GTO handles better in the corners and it flat out blazes in the straight aways. The suspension of the GTO suites it quite well in fact. The only gripe I have towards the GTO is the tire setup 245/45 17 on all for corners...... not the way I would have gone. I'll be replacing the 245/45 rears with at least a 275/45 for added grip just to fill out the rear fenders.I only wish it came in a convertible...... :sigh:

Archived