REAR Rotors

Firered

I was wondering since my rear rotors are rusting in the middle where the brake pads touch, Will it cause the brakes to be touch. It seems if I brake hard the rear brakes seem not to grab as good due to the rust in teh middle of the rotor. That should be covered under warranty right? :cheers:

It is covered if you are still under factory warranty. It is usually cauced by the salt on the road from up north or from people who do not know how put a boat in the water and let their back wheels go in the saltwater.

I tired stopping really hard after hitting 85MPH a few times to see if the rust would wear off, but no luck the rust looks to appear to be within the rotor material. I looks awful. A bran new truck with rusty rotors and it only a year old. :smash:

I tired stopping really hard after hitting 85MPH a few times to see if the rust would wear off, but no luck the rust looks to appear to be within the rotor material. I  looks awful.  A bran new truck with rusty rotors and it only a year old.  :smash:

I know you don't like the appearance but maybe you can find solace knowing that some new vehicles (on the lot, show room floor etc.) have that issue.

Also, I don't know of any vehicle warranties that cover brakes rotors, pads, tires etc. Especially for a cosmetic issue.

Get it checked out.The trucks brakes are lazy in the rear and the rotors are rust prone,even without salt problems.My sales mgrs Avalanche had severe rust on the BACKSIDE of his rotors and the front side looked good.I removed the rotors and turned them.Found the caliper slides were not working as they should and the caliper was hanging up.All the rear braking was being done by the outboard pads.

These chassis vehicles,Escalade,Tahoe,Silverado,Suburban,Avalanche and the GMC versions all use the same basic system in the 1500 chassis and they all can be weak in the rear brake system.

1 of 3 scenarios happen with these rear brakes

1)The rear inboard pad wears out early and eats the rotor

2)The rear rotors rust badly

3)The brakes work great and the pads live 150,000 miles.

I was wondering since my rear rotors are rusting in the middle where  the brake pads touch, Will it cause the brakes to be touch. It seems if I brake hard the rear brakes seem not to grab as good due to the rust in teh middle of the rotor. That should be covered under warranty right?  :cheers:

Any rust should disappear after using the brakes, If it doesn't especially if it is only on one side of the rotor, then the caliper slides are hanging up. Check both rear rotors inside and out and compare how they look. At least once a year you should service the calipers with caliper lube. They should move freely with the piston pushed in a little when they are free. The most common problem with disk brakes are stuck caliper slides. Rust on other areas where the pads don't touch is normal. As soon as I bought my 05 ss I removed the rotors and painted them, but not on the pad surface though, and also painted the calipers. Looks much better. Also painted the Knuckles and gear box because they are bare metal and prone to rust. I don't know why GM doesn't paint some of the suspension parts. Honda had a good coating on all their suspension parts so they don't rust. I guess GM doesn't think you would ever look under your truck, Wrong. SS owners do. 20 year Chevy tech.

Archived