Rear differential- what type?

Just out of curiosity, what type of limited slip diffs are in the SS's from the factory? I changed the fluid today and it looks different than the one that is in my '97 S-10. Looks like there is a block in between kind of like the add on lockers some guys use in their hot rods, the ones that go right in an open rear and replace the spiders. Sure looks like a nice piece.

It is a Eaton rear locker. I am not very up-to-date on the specifics of the diff mechanism, I think it takes a lot of differential RPMs to engage the locker (versus a performance aftermarket Eaton unit).

They still use a clutch pack just like the old ones. The block, locking governer take the place of the Z spring. The side gears are also different. There is a cam on the back side of the gear that applies the clutches. It's much smoother than the old style. When torque is applied the governer engages the block to apply the clutch packs through the side gears and cam, hence positraction. It's better than the old system, because it's not always applied. Only when it's needed.

for any real performance use, they are terrible. it's not impressive at all under anything with alot of power.

Do they not hold up well under big torque?

no. fortunatly the SS's that are awd won't have much issue with them though. the awd takes away alot of the shock on the diffs. it's not uncommon to break them in normal rwd use.

for any real performance use, they are terrible. it's not impressive at all under anything with alot of power.

Do they not hold up well under big torque?

no. fortunatly the SS's that are awd won't have much issue with them though. the awd takes away alot of the shock on the diffs. it's not uncommon to break them in normal rwd use.

Good to know. I just noticed that it has smoother operation for normal street use.

Archived