Which supercharger?

I have looked at the end all be all FI thread but it doesnt help me. I dont want an sts cause I have a z71 and sucking up mud and water would not be good. I am stuck between a radix, kenne bell, and a whipple. I have heard the radix runs out of juice at around 6k cause it starts making too much heat. I dont need the low down power that a radix makes. My current mods are dual 2.5" exhaust x-pipe high flow cats nelson tune tci 3000 stall built 60/65e(5 pinion planets and a BUNCH of other stuff) intake, ny-trex 150hp wet shot, lt headers and lq4 6L soon. I want to be able to tow and go offroad. I was told the whipple computer is crap but Allen told me he can tune my truck without the whipple computer. I need power from 3000 to about 6600. My truck wont drop below 5k after I shift out of first once my new engine and cam is in. I was told the kb s/c would be best for my app. due to its high rpm capability and with the I/C coming out it will be even better. I am looking to get mid 500/500 after the new engine with cam and mild head work plus the supercharger before nitrous if I even keep it. So what would you all do or have had a good experience with I am looking to spend around 4 grand for the s/c kit so livernois turbo kit is not an option.

Thanks in advance, Cody

My opinion - the ATI and Vortech would be the best fit for the performance goals you have given and the converter you have installed; if you are careful you can probably fit the ATI p1sc in your budget, the Vortech kit is a bit more.

Mr. P.

Edit: I am a fan of the Lysholm (screw-type) superchargers, but I would not consider one without an intercooler. You could buy the Whipple kit and add your own intercooler but that would put you way out of budget. Also, many have shared some very negative customer experiences dealing with KB, and they are not competitively priced either...

What have been some negative feedback for the kb. I know they have HORRIBLE customer service but for what I am doing I doubt they would be much good anyway. If in the end a whipple or kb would be better thats what I would go with. I could get an I/C later on. The only thing Im worried about with a centrifugal s/c is that they would not give me really good power from 3000 to arouund 5000 where they are really suppose to shine. I can get a kb for 3800. What do the ATI's run with the p1sc. I know I could search but I am just wondering what most people end up paying.

KB customer service is reputedly BAD, several here have said in the forum they were done wrong by KB customer service. And Whipple is not much better as they try to lock a customer in with some strongarm sales and service tactics.

If you are willing to get the I/C later on then a screw-type S/C is not a bad road to go but very few have done it, it is a totally custom solution at the moment. However I think it has promise, Starr Performance has made some very stunning kits with the Lysholm compressor and their proprietary water/air intercooler; I have also heard it is priced somewhere around the $10K mark. :puke:

Several of the ATI guys here I am sure can share what their real world costs were.

I was leaning towards a kb then getting the I/C later on to turn up the boost but now I dont know if I went ATI or procharger which headunit should I go with that will allow me to reach mid 500hp without the nitrous.

The only thing Im worried about with a centrifugal s/c is that they would not give me really good power from 3000 to arouund 5000 where they are really suppose to shine..  What do the ATI's run with the p1sc.  I know I could search but I am just wondering what most people end up paying.

First off I think the only thing wrong with my setup is my tune, and I just bought hp tuners, but I have not got it yet.

Now the ATI will make more power from 3000-6000 then any other type of s/c except vortec.

You will get at least 500 hp with a 10 lb. pulley on, and a muffler work and a tune.

so nothing is going to make more heat than an non-intercooled FI option.

Other than that from what you've mentioned above: Radix = roots, kb, whipple = twin screw. The twin screws have better efficiency than roots because they do not have rotor seals to blow boost by at high pressure, but neither one has an intercooler option, so high boost isn't a big concern anyway.

Honestly if you don't want more low end grunt, or more to the point, don't want it at the expense of the high end power, you want (in this order) a turbo or a centrifugal s/c. Nothing is going to beat the turbo up top (or from when it hits boost to the top of it's efficiency range for that matter) than a bigger turbo.

Edit: just saw the post about KB and intercooler?? For $4k?? I didn't know that...

No I can get the non I/C kb for 3800 they havent released pricing yet for the I/C kit so I will probably wait till they release pricing info before I make a decision but they initial power reports were over 500hp at the wheels with 6psi I beleive. I would like nothing more than to get a front mounted turbo but the money isnt there and once I get to my goal thats all I want my 60e is only a built 60e I dont want to get into 80e's and replacing rear ends I am not looking for a all out drag truck just something to surprise the hell out of a few cobras and corvettes. I want to keep it reliable and daily driveable and pushing it much further past 500 seems to be where all the problems start.

I would take the claims of 500 rwhp @ 6psi with a grain of salt... :) Maybe a grain the size of Texas... From any FI manufacturer. Not even 8-10psi (with no other mods) is likely to give you 500rwhp.

I still think you'll be better off with a cent. s/c or small turbo kit (Check out Phamspeed for lower prices than DSW and in your range I believe, but will require some sweat equity most likely). Just by way of comparision, Magnusson makes a non-intercooler s/c for around $3500-3800 (haven't priced them in a year so salt liberally) and the intercooled version is $4800-5100. I'd expect something similar from Whipple.

However you get there, 500 rwhp is doable with a very well built 65E (give Chuck at FLT a call)

I already have a built 60e with the 5 pinion planets red clutches torque drive input kit hardened output shaft shift kit servos accumalator pistons and that good stuff I think the tranny will hold up hopefully. Are the ATI ps1c's good. Nash has offered to sell me one with an I/C are they good it sounds good. I could come up with the funds but I would have to skimp on 6L compenents. :banghead:

I run a Whipple on my 2000 Sierra with the 5.3L. You step on it and it goes; no lag like the Vortech or ATI. My trans has held up too with only a shift kit. I will say to get the most out of the Whipple you need to dump their electronics and go with custom PCM tuning and larger injectors. Whipples are known to have detonation issues with their piggy back cpu. I/C will come out eventually too and when it does I'll be ready!

Archived