Need some help changing the thermostat

bulldog002

I read the how to post but I still ran into a problem. I found the spot to drain the radiator but I still can not get the drain to drain. The instructions said to unscrew the valve by hand and drain, the problem is I found the valve but I can not loosen by hand. What does the valve look like? is it a knob of some sort? Mine is black plastic with a drain line pointing to the the left of the truck, that is it. Thanks for you help.

I loosened the three bolts on the stat

Then I removed the hose that went to the stat and had a friend hold it up so that it did not darn out.

Then I took the stat of and slapped the new one on before all the fluid came out. (make sure you get the gasket sealed good.

The drain valve feels like a wing-nut about an inch across; you should be able to unscrew it by hand, and no there is no hose through it, it is just a hand-tight stopper. If you like you can do as j4nash says and forgo the radiator draining, just unbolt the thermostat housing and prepare for the big splash when you pull the housing back from the water pump!

Mr. P. :)

The drain valve feels like a wing-nut about an inch across; you should be able to unscrew it by hand, and no there is no hose through it, it is just a hand-tight stopper.  If you like you can do as j4nash says and forgo the radiator draining, just unbolt the thermostat housing and prepare for the big splash when you pull the housing back from the water pump!

Mr. P. :)

That's my problem, I do not have a wing-nut in that location. Could there be a differnt location of an 04? I don't get it I spent 30 min looking for a valve and never found one.

I just changed my stat yesterday. What will the normal temp be with the new stat.

This morning it was right around 185. I had the same problem with draining the

radiator. There was no wingnut just a hole that was pluged. Checked my moms

03 suburban same thing just a hole with a plug.

Where did you end up getting the stat from?  How much did ya end up paying for it??  Thanks :driving:

Funny that I see this, I just did mine last night. I didn't have any problems finding the drain or anything for that matter. I followed the instructions in the how-to posted by misterp. I can see the drain plug being stiff to turn being that it's platic going into a plastic radiator. Are you doing this while the engine is hot or cold. I did mine after the truck sat for about an hour. It was hot as hell but sometimes that helps in removing bolts and nuts with expansion that is created with heat. I got my stat from TByrne and paid $59 and of course had my PCM tuned for it. This morning the SS was running at 175 I think, it sat in the middle of 160 and 210. :driving:

Your 04 might not have a drain. My 2004 H2 does not have a drain. I thought I was really stupid for about an hour crawling all over with a flashlight. No petcock to drain it. I pulled the top hose off and pumped some coolant down with a siphon hose when I installed the Magnacharger and again when I changed the T-stat.

Archived