Tool to cut plastic?

TBSS

I have a need for a tool to cut a rectangular hole in the lower front of my bumper, to allow air to flow over a heat exchanger I will be mounting behind it. The bumper in that area is some type of plastic material, maybe ABS, but not very thick.

Ideally the tool would be cheap, because I don't think I would have much use for it once I use it for this task.

I also purchased some wheel well inserts for a Suburban that I will be putting into my rear wheel wells, because the way they did the Avalanche looks horrible (almost like that spray popcorn stuff). I will be using the tool to cut a couple of holes in that as well.

Maybe a keyhole saw? Are those easy to control? I will want the lines to be nice and straight, so the tool needs to be easily controlled. I was thinking about borrowing someone's Dremel, but wouldn't that take forever? (Not to mention stink to high heaven, and possibly melt the plastic... :eek: )

Any ideas?

Okay, so I'm looking at breaking down and buying a Sawzall or a Dremel:

Sawzall 10A Saw with Case

Dremel 400 XPR with 51 attachments

Wondering how hard it is to keep the Dremel going in a straight line. Looks like the Sawzall might be better in that area.

The Dremel is $20 cheaper, but is it more versatile? I'd like to get the product with the most utility.

The dremel is about the most versatile tool I own... they have an attachement for EVERYTHING. With the exception of cutting thru larger materials I haven't found anything this tool can't do. Sawzall is nice to have also... but its not exactly a 'percision cutting tool'

The dremel is about the most versatile tool I own... they have an attachement for EVERYTHING. With the exception of cutting thru larger materials I haven't found anything this tool can't do. Sawzall is nice to have also... but its not exactly a 'percision cutting tool'

:withstupid: Go with the dremel.

Archived