part #

ignorant

Is this part number for the 160 degree t-stat from TBYRNE? 1014

This is on their site under the chevy truck seciton but it does not specifically say it is for the 6.0L engine. I ahve a 2003 ss. Just do not want to order the wrong one.

Dave at Redline suggested one bottle for the truck.

He wrote: "the water and waterwetter will provide the best heat transfer and temp reduction. In the silverado one bottle will be sufficient to treat the cooling system capacity, it is compatible with antifreeze, but a reduced concentration will further improve heat transfer and and reduce temperatures. The design mix ratio is 3%."

Zippy,

Do you think that two bottles will have more of an effect on cooling? If I add two bottles of watter wetter, what ratio should I use for the water and dexcool?

• 2 weeks later...
Dave at Redline suggested one bottle for the truck. 

He wrote:  "the water and waterwetter will provide the best heat transfer and temp reduction.  In the silverado one bottle will be sufficient to treat the cooling system capacity, it is compatible with antifreeze, but a reduced concentration will further improve heat transfer and and reduce temperatures.  The design mix ratio is 3%."

Zippy,

Do you think that two bottles will have more of an effect on cooling?  If I add two bottles of watter wetter, what ratio should I use for the water and dexcool?

Zippy - any help with the above? So does it make good sense to put in two bottles of water wetter? Then what should i use for a ratio of coolant to distilled water? 75% water/25% coolant? 60% water/40% coolant?

OK, doing the math - the full cooling system capacity according to the owner's manual is about 15-qts, so 3% of that would be just a squeak under a half-qt; one bottle of water wetter will do the trick although two will not hurt, just be more expensive...

RE water to glycol ratio - I am under the impression that water transfers heat better than glycol; theoretically you want to run just enough glycol in the system to protect from freezing (if you lived in the tropics you could use straight water since freezing is non-existant). However there are other considerations, like corrosion protection in aluminum parts and for that reason alone I *believe* that you need to run at least a small measure of glycol in your coolant... some thoughts to consider and research anyway...

Mr. P. :)

i'd have to go through the math, but think about that answer. anyone that gernalizes the answer like that, i don't want them to answer my question. "Silverado" applies to a V6 half ton and an 8.1L one ton. there is quite a difference in cooling capacity. because of the 34" radiator that the SS uses, i use two bottles. it's probably a bit of overkill, but that's ok with me. if i ever top off the coolant down the road i won't have to add any water wetter.

i'd have to go through the math, but think about that answer. anyone that gernalizes the answer like that, i don't want them to answer my question. "Silverado" applies to a V6 half ton and an 8.1L one ton. there is quite a difference in cooling capacity. because of the 34" radiator that the SS uses, i use two bottles. it's probably a bit of overkill, but that's ok with me. if i ever top off the coolant down the road i won't have to add any water wetter.

I live in MI as well. About what ratio do you use for water to coolant? I picked up three bottles of water wetter today from autozone. Two for the truck and I will also use it in my KTM.

How many miles until all of the coolant should be replaced?

I am trying to decided whether or not to empty the sytem and start with all new water, coolant and water wetter or if I should just empty a little out and put in water wetter.

Does the SS come from the factory with a 50%/50% ratio of water to coolant?

I live in MI as well. About what ratio do you use for water to coolant? I picked up three bottles of water wetter today from autozone. Two for the truck and I will also use it in my KTM.

How many miles until all of the coolant should be replaced?

I am trying to decided whether or not to empty the sytem and start with all new water, coolant and water wetter or if I should just empty a little out and put in water wetter.

Does the SS come from the factory with a 50%/50% ratio of water to coolant?

Just drain a bit out of the system and put in the water wetter. Don't know about the OEM glycol/water ratio...

misterp

By reading this thread, it sounds like Zippy was reffering to Dave at Redline. I guess I could be wrong, but that's what it looked like to me.

Late-  Alex

:withstupid:

i have no issue with your point mister p. my point was directed at what redline's comment was. when i said think about that answer, my point was think about the answer you recieved from redline. not the answer you gave directly.

on the other hand i can't believe you'd have thought i directed that at your comment in a bad way. that's rather amazing to me... :nonod:

Archived