trouble getting cap to fit

I went looking for a cap and the first place I went to said that I would have to remove the painted guard from the top of the tale gate and install a regular black silverado part. any one else have this done? How do you get the guard off??

• 2 weeks later...

I put a cap on the bed and removed the tailgate protector...it's held on by double sided sticky tape. Just use a razor blade, pull up on a corner and run it down the length of the tailgate. It's real easy to get off because the tape is new and not permanently attached to the paint yet. Once you get the protector off just rub the sticky stuff off of the tailgate ( i used Windex) As for the holes in the tailgate i put black plastic insert in the 4 holes, i found them at home depot, popped them in to keep water out, can't even tell they are there! :thumbs:

• 2 months later...

I don't know if you care to leave the cap on the tailgate or not, but I just had an Astro cap put on my SS and the rear edge of it rests ontop of the tailgate and still looks great, locks, and seals well. So, I didn't have to remove the factory installed tailgate cap/wing.

:chevy: I have a LSII from ARE. You DON'T have to remove the Tailgate cap. The top is made for the SS... Check their web sight.. Also get the bed rug option with the rug on the underside of the top.. Looks great and doesn't leak - even though there is ovhang.

Archived