Coolant runs at 205 w/ 160 tstat???

misterp

My parts man at the dealership said he looked it to this and told me these engines run hot anyway and 190 -200 is not hot anyway i check with whipple head tech agreed my temp today 180 eng 150 trans in 90* outside in traffic with 160 stat

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yup got a big ass tranny cooler sitting in there as well....

which was kinda crappy too cause my tranny temps got near the 180s.  That was in stop and go traffic as well, and i like to spool up the turbo every once and a while  :devil:

:D Yup I hear you, leaving work to terrorize the streets is what I live for! Traffic in Sac was a biatch when I lived there and my sister tells me it has only gotten a ton worse...

yeah traffic is horrible, im comutting with the wife these past 2 days just cause she works less than a block from me and she gets done working when all the traffic in the world is here. HORRID!

Good to know its normal on the temps though :thumbs:

misterp, I am experiencing the same thing. Driving around at a decent speed will keep enough airlflow going thru the radiator to keep the gauge around 180 on my truck. But after driving for a while, if I sit still in traffic or at a light, or if I am on the accelerator a bit, it will go up to about 195 (right where it was with the stock thermostat). I'm thinking the only solution is electric fans (going to get the '05 ones myself) because they should pull more CFM through than the stock fan.

Well before I make any judgements I am going to do some data logging and see just exactly what the effect on real performance is, maybe I'm worrying over nothing.

mbpsychoSS: I am an advocate of 'hot engines', in my experience campaigning a claimer car we did much better running the engine at 195 than we did at 180, noticeably more horsepower. As I said earlier the 205 temp itself does not bother me as long as the engine does not boil over, but I was hoping to get the operating temp down to somewhere around 190 to 195. I am more stumped if anything, because the coolant temp is unchanged (compared to the OEM tstat).

XGMTech: glad to hear you can get yours to cool off, mine is 205 whether day, night, rain, shine, idling, WOT... I agree that in your case yes sounds like efans would make a difference.

a few days ago at work i looked at my grill and noticed a bunch of dead bugs. well this spring with all the rain we been up to our eyes in them. looking at the radiator and they were all over the frount. i took the fan shroud top off and used some compressed air, from the inside and blew it all out the frount. i could not belive how much crap came out. sand, dust, and a lot of bug parts. after that i took a hose and hosed it all out.

weather it did any good to keep my temps down or not i don't know, but it sure can't hurt any........just a though

:seeya:

My truck is also doing the same thing. It will sit at 185 and when i use the pedal a few times the temp will rise to 205, but then it will come down (provided i lay off the gas). This happens anytime of the day or night, and any ambiant temp.

Forgot to mention, i'm running 05 e-fans controlled tru a nelson 3-relay harness

i generally like to use 2 bottles of water wetter per refill on an SS. as for the radiator, it's plenty big enough. the cooling issue most see are the people still running the stock clutch fan. the stock clutch fan is thermostaticly controlled. keep in mind that the truck is rated to pull over 7,000lbs. if you can pull that much weight and not overheat the truck you get the idea. the clutch for the fan only begins to engage fully around 192 and locks fully if i recall at around 205.

i generally like to use 2 bottles of water wetter per refill on an SS. as for the radiator, it's plenty big enough. the cooling issue most see are the people still running the stock clutch fan. the stock clutch fan is thermostaticly controlled. keep in mind that the truck is rated to pull over 7,000lbs. if you can pull that much weight and not overheat the truck you get the idea. the clutch for the fan only begins to engage fully around 192 and locks fully if i recall at around 205.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!! Yup, you're right, I get it. So can you score a brother a GM part number on a lower temp fan clutch???

Mr. P. :)

I have to admit I do still wonder about radiator capacity. With the A/C on even driving on the highway at 70 mph my temp stays up. I turn the air off and the guage backs down.

Not sure the fan is the big factor. But I would still like to get the factory e fans to reduce drag on the engine. :chevy:

Archived