Coolant runs at 205 w/ 160 tstat???

misterp

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
One thing I noticed today... My gauge sasy 210.  The PCM says 190... which is only 12 degrees hotter than normal.  The gauge is whacked... For that 12* actual, the gauge reports 25*.

Yeah I thought of that originally; I've been meaning to buy a couple temp strips at a local radiator shop to double-check the guage and have been to busy...

Mr. P. :)

One thing I noticed today... My gauge sasy 210.  The PCM says 190... which is only 12 degrees hotter than normal.  The gauge is whacked... For that 12* actual, the gauge reports 25*.

that's problem number two with the system in these trucks. take a look at the distance difference between the coolant sensor for the pcm and the coolant sensor for the gauge. they report different temperatures because they see different temps.

that's problem number two with the system in these trucks. take a look at the distance difference between the coolant sensor for the pcm and the coolant sensor for the gauge. they report different temperatures because they see different temps.

I have posted about this before, mine shows about the same off. Same with the tranny temp.

If they use different sensors, then where is the one located for the PCM? I would have thought they use the same sensor, but it was more of the gauge reflection of that temp that was off.

I have posted about this before, mine shows about the same off. Same with the tranny temp.

If they use different sensors, then where is the one located for the PCM? I would have thought they use the same sensor, but it was more of the gauge reflection of that temp that was off.

I'd love to know this too -- I looked for a second temp sensor and can't find one.

There is something between the PCM and the gauge cluster for sure -- just look at the tach signal off the PCM and at the cluster to prove that one. What I wonder is if they (PCM to gauge signals) are run through some inverters that effect the fidelity.

Strangely enough, my tranny temp gauge is only 8* off (reads 200* when it's 192*)

Yea the GM factory guages can be innacurate. On my '99 Camaro SS the guage would basically move once when the engine was warmed up to read about 200 degrees, and once again if you happened to over heat. Whether you ran a lower temperature t-stat, programmed your fans to come on sooner, whatever. Autotap readings would show the correct temp, but the guage was always reading the same. More like an old-fashioned idiot light. Kind of frustrating that you're not getting accurate info.

Again, I guess it just demonstrates the importance of a scanner if you really want to know what's going on. :chevy:

I changed my stat about a month ago and so far she has been running around 185 like I had anticipated. Yesterday it was hot as hell (108) so I ran the A/C and saw what you guys are talking about. As soon as I hit the A/C the temp shot straight up to 200 and sat there. So I'm gonna assume that when you say the fan clutch is thermostatically controlled it's a stand alone unit and locks up when it hits a certain temp and not what the pcm reads. I'm gonna start looking into e-fans for my next mod because that fan drives me nuts during the summer.

I changed my stat about a month ago and so far she has been running around 185 like I had anticipated.  Yesterday it was hot as hell (108) so I ran the A/C and saw what you guys are talking about.  As soon as I hit the A/C the temp shot straight up to 200 and sat there.  So I'm gonna assume that when you say the fan clutch is thermostatically controlled it's a stand alone unit and locks up when it hits a certain temp and not what the pcm reads.  I'm gonna start looking into e-fans for my next mod because that fan drives me nuts during the summer.

I think what was being said about the PCM was that there was a desparity between what you see on your dash gauge and what it reads at the PCM during logging, thats all.

Last night I was driving about 50 mph, 80 deg outside temp, no ac and mine was running just under 210, that is with a 160 deg stat, a tuned pcm, and 2 bottles of water wetter. After getting the pcm tuned was the first time i had ever herd my fans run, so that works. Any ideas about mine? :driving:

and to add to this topic, what kind of tranny temps are you seeing?

I'm floating between 180-190 now when its 100+ outside.

Mine's about 185 in the high-90s but I have a very large ATF cooler...

Mr. P.

yup ive got me one of them big coolers too.....cool at least i know its "common"

Archived