Questions about VHOs

FSU VHO

Hi, I just purchased a 2005 Silverado VHO this weekend and I have a couple questions about it and how it relates to the SS that I couldn't find searching.

First, is the VHO's performance suspension the same as the SS's?

And second, if the engine is the same as the SS as I have read on the boards, should I be using 91 octane gas, because nowhere on my truck or in the manual does it recommend hi-test? In fact my manual doesn't even recognize the existance of the VHO/Silverado Performance Edition.

Thanks,

Arthur

Hi, I just purchased a 2005 Silverado VHO this weekend and I have a couple questions about it and how it relates to the SS that I couldn't find searching.

First, is the VHO's performance suspension the same as the SS's?

And second, if the engine is the same as the SS as I have read on the boards, should I be using 91 octane gas, because nowhere on my truck or in the manual does it recommend hi-test?  In fact my manual doesn't even recognize the existance of the VHO/Silverado Performance Edition.

Thanks,

Arthur

Yes it's the same exact suspention and yes you should use high octane gas. Think of it as a 2wd SS minus the body cladding!

I should have some coming soon, though right now it is a stock, black VHO. It is going to take me some time to decide what route I want to go on the appearance side. On the performance side, I plan to order the volant intake tomorrow and get a tune as soon as I get a few more miles on it.

this should be what you find in your 05' owners manual.

Gasoline Octane

For all except vehicles with the 6.0L V8 (VIN Code N) engine, use regular unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 87 or higher. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use a gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine. A little pinging noise when you accelerate or drive uphill is considered normal. This does not indicate a problem exists or that a higher-octane fuel is necessary. If you are using 87 octane or higher-octane fuel and hear heavy knocking, your engine needs service.

If you have the 6.0L V8 (VIN Code N) engine, use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane of 91 or higher for best performance. You may also use middle grade or regular unleaded gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher, but your vehicle's acceleration may be slightly reduced. If the octane is less than 87, you may get a heavy knocking noise when you drive. If this occurs, use gasoline rated at 87 octane or higher as soon as possible. Otherwise, you might damage your engine.

Just a suggestion there has been plenty of testing done showing that the volant has lost power over stock I have the outlaw intake and I love it, it's a very nice unit!

Really? How loud is the outlaw. I just cam from a car where you couldn't talk if i was accelerating because the intake was so loud. It even whistled at full throttle.

Just a suggestion there has been plenty of testing done showing that the volant has lost power over stock I have the outlaw intake and I love it, it's a very nice unit!

Really? How loud is the outlaw. I just cam from a car where you couldn't talk if i was accelerating because the intake was so loud. It even whistled at full throttle.

It's pretty quiet I didn't notice a difference in sound going from stock to the outlaw.

Archived