I'm so down

misterp

I also had a rottie that gave me huge medical problems. Three eye surgerys, one bladder infection and finally died after kidney failure. She was only ten months old by the time all this had happened. Great dog with an excellent disposition. She cost me about 2 grand, I wish it were enough....

Joe

You don't by any chance use "Swifter Wet" on your floors do you. There are numerous law suits out on them now and they will be adding a warning label to their products now. This was just confirmed this year : If a pet walks across a freshly Swifter Wet cleaned floor the cleaning agent dries on their paws. The pets clean themselves thereby ingesting the cleaning agent. Over time the active cleaning agent attacks the nervous system and kills the animal. I know of 3 pets that have tested positive for the active cleaning agent in Swifter Wet. All 3 have passed at an early age. Just some info.

Sorry to hear about your cat. I lost my Chinchilla Persian this year. Its hard.

You don't by any chance use "Swifter Wet" on your floors do you.  There are numerous law suits out on them now and they will be adding a warning label to their products now.  This was just confirmed this year :  If a pet walks across a freshly Swifter Wet cleaned floor the cleaning agent dries on their paws.  The pets clean themselves thereby ingesting the cleaning agent.  Over time the active cleaning agent attacks the nervous system and kills the animal.  I know of 3 pets that have tested positive for the active cleaning agent in Swifter Wet.  All 3 have passed at an early age.  Just some info.

Sorry to hear about your cat.  I lost my Chinchilla Persian this year.  Its hard.

Thanks Krambo, I am still down because I have been thinking along this line; I just mopped my floors with Lysol cleaner 2-3 days earlier at 50/50 concentration and did not rinse well (I just let it dry). This is the first time I have used harsh floor cleaners like that in literally a year, and the coincidence is too strong to ignore. :sigh: My immediate knee-jerk reaction when I saw the cat was that she had been poisoned by cleaning products somehow, I guessed she had drank out of the freshly chem-cleaned toilets (the floors did not dawn on me) but your idea is the most plausible so far.

Thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences with your own pets, I thought I was 'well adjusted' to the situation until last night I realized too late I had subconciously opened the back door to let her in the house... :tear: Man am I that compulsive?!

Mr. P. :)

EDIT: I Googled and yes, phenol-based cleaning agents are violently toxic to cats, felines cannot metabolize these chemicals; I am convinced that this is how I poisoned my own cat. Thank you Krambo for a little bit of closure.

Sorry about you cat a few years ago we went away for the weekend and came home and our cat was laying there almost dead. We took him to the vet and found out he had Feline Lukemia. When we went away he was as healthy as can be it just took over that fast and we had to put him to sleep. We now have one thats 15 and won't die no matter what happens to it.

Sweetie, I don't think you killed your cat. In fact, I'm almost positive of it. I've had numerous cats in my childhood and even as an adult and the worst part of it has always been stuff like this. I have a little tabby named MiMi who is almost 5 now, and you have no idea how many times I've been in the middle of cleaning my floors and she decides to run across them while they're still wet and then run away from me when I try to catch her and clean her paws off. She's still alive though, and very healthy I might add, even after numerous trips across my Lysol soaked floor. The bad thing about animals is that they can't talk, and they have a high pain threshold so even when something is hurting or wrong you're not likely to notice. If your cat was poisoned she would have been vomiting, and would have lost control of her bodily fluids, and numerous other horrible things to watch or see. It could have been 101 things, all of which none would have been your fault. A neurological problem or a cardiac problem could have caused this and you would never have seen it coming. So please don't beat yourself up anymore, if it had been your fault you would have been able to find the culprit.

Take Care,

Jess

cheer up mr. p all you need is a hug! i remember when i was 7 i had a pet bird that my mom let fly away. but than again that bird was crazy as a mo-fo. we bought it from wallgreens, so you know those animals have problems. my bird was a canable always biting me till i would bleed than lap up the blood....god damn bird!!!!

I have one I'll send you to fill the void if you like :)   I love him to death, but sometimes I wish he'd go away for a while.  Not really, I guess.

:lol: yes, the damned cat was like that. I think it's fair to say we had a love/hate relationship! :jester:

cheer up mr. p all you need is a hug! i remember when i was 7 i had a pet bird that my mom let fly away. but than again that bird was crazy as a mo-fo. we bought it from wallgreens, so you know those animals have problems. my bird was a canable always biting me till i would bleed than lap up the blood....god damn bird!!!!

Your mom let fly away? That is terrible, I'm so sorry to hear about that. A hug? maybe so; don't get any of those these days, one of the hidden costs of being 'unattached' I guess. Sounds like your bird and my cat had a lot in common, I called her the damned cat because one of her deepest forms of affection was to saunter up to me on the couch, flop down and BITE my arm! To which I would yell out 'god damned cat'... Was a love bite, never drew blood but I wore a scratch on the forearm every once in a great while!

Sorry to hear about your lose :happysad:  I hate when animals die.

Thanks, yes it is hard when pets die but this is certainly not my first (I was raised on a ranch) and I finally figured out today why the death of this cat was so hard. I was married five years ago, and my wife at the time claimed the cat was hers, but the cat always had more attachment for me to the point that it bothered my wife! When I moved out of my marriage the cat stayed with my wife and refused to eat for days; my wife took this feline act of rebuff very hard, finally giving up and cussing at me to 'take that damned cat with you', and the cat was visibly thrilled to be with me. In that act the cat taught me one huge lesson about relationships, in demonstrating to me what it meant to be wanted (especially at a time when my wife certainly did not). My now ex-wife BSd me for years 'talking the talk' but the lowly damned cat truly 'walked the walk' so to speak. That cat taught me how to see the difference between a self-centered gold-digging masterful manipulator and a genuinely dedicated companion, a lesson I am thankful to have received from this pet.

Sweetie, I don't think you killed your cat.  In fact, I'm almost positive of it.  ...  So please don't beat yourself up anymore, if it had been your fault you would have been able to find the culprit. 

Take Care,

Jess

Thanks. And the last time someone called me Sweetie was a good 15-years ago :D ; she was my first love and a good woman god rest her soul, thanks for the reminder of happier times. Maybe all this was nothing I did and all just a coincidence; I am still going to use more care with cleaners, that certainly won't hurt anything. I guess for the reasons I spoke above I am having a very tough time with the possibility that I did anything to let down this pet that taught me such an important life lesson. You are right though in that beating myself up does not help at all, what happened has happened whether or not I had any culpability in it. If I have made a mistake then it's already been paid for, time to learn what I can and get moving forward again.

Mr. P.

Archived