What Would You Change?

BlkStSS

:chevy: A common theme on this site is the aftermarket modifications owners are putting on their SS's. I have only added a Pendaliner SR bed liner and a pair of WeatherFlectors. Others have added Superchargers & Intercoolers, custom lubrication systems, wheels, tires, spray-in bed liners, custom interior trim and sidesteps. I am sure I missed something that somebody has done!

If you were running Chevrolet what would you add at the factory. I suspect a supercharger or more HP would be the top choice. After that what would you want?

I would want more specialization on the interior. I believe the difference between a Silverado LT interior and an SS is 4 pieces;

A. White Face Instruments

B. Silverado SS Badge in the Center Stack

C. 2 Head Restraints with Custom SS logos

How about some brushed aluminum trim in the interior, leather (not vinyl) on the rear bench. Chevrolet could engineer a custom set of folding buckets for the rear seat, imagine 2 seats on the outside and a flatter seat in the center, each which could individually fold. If I remember correctly the concept SS had gray and white seats, that may be tough to keep clean :eek: , but it looked nice.

Any other ideas, remember this is from the factory, it has to be marketable, safe and meet DOT standards, EPA emission controls and not drive the CAFE rating down (too much! :jester: )

29111549.jpg

No supercharger, keep it N/A but get it to the 400 hp mark, lower it 2 more inches, smaller tires, roll pan, clear lenses up front. thats how it should have come from the factory. and make the seats 2 tone and maybe even with piping. Id say better braking too, but im glad they arent bigger because i can still fit 16s on there when i go to the track :D

Interior:

Two-tone seats and door panels

different center console-one that has some practicality

Available deluxe o/h console with built in garage door opener

custom mats

more available colors to the interior

optional sliding glass window - possibly a power option to it

Exterior:

Available roll pan

options available on wheel/tire combo

More colors available, or make the ones you have to choose from "SS" only

clear lenses all the way around

HID headlamps

rear anti-sway bar

beefier front anti-sway bar

NA 390-400HP

available s-chgr option

That's about it.

I would def. go clears on the front... maybe a set of driving lenses over the brake ducts...have them run corners with the fogs for the Auto lamps... lower it 2 inches... dual exhaust exiting before the rear tire on the right side (let the people you beat hear it!!!)... And more than anything else MAKE IT IN A SHADOW GRAY WITH GRAPHITE COLORED WHEELS AND TINTED WINDOWS!!!

-Joe

P.S. Make the Rims 5-spoke, like all fast things should have...

I'm not a big Dodge fan, but the couple design cues I like from the Ram SRT-10 that would have been pretty cool for the SS were the brushed steel instrument cluster and the push button starter. There's just something about pushing the big red button.

I like several of the items listed above - - but I would also have made a power sunroof an option - also a coupld of other color choices. I still enjoy a stick on the console, even if it is an automatic. My Seville has a neat console shift - it goes perfect with buckets.

I'm not a designer, but with a little effort I'm sure I could have added something a little more "dramatic" to the lower body panels - and I MUCH PREFER the instrument panel and lighting on my SLS to the white gauges on the SS. When you fire up a new Seville, the guage needles "sweep" from left to right and back - - - - it gives you a feeling that something REALLY neat is about to happen! :cool:

This truck needs much cooler control knobs on the dash - the factory ones strike me as plain-jane.

I think they could have incorporated fog lamps and front tow hooks too - - in my opinion, it would have made the truck look even "tougher". In case some of you wouldn't want these items - then make 'em optional. Shit - we're willing to pay 40G's for the damned thing - let's have it "our way" (as Burger King would say) :thumbs:

I went through this post, and Zippy’s parallel post and tried to come up with the perfect Silverado SS from the factory (if we were to change this truck, of course it is perfect now, $40,000 dollars of my money says so! :D ). To start with, let ‘s take out what I felt could not be done;

Sunroof and/or Sliding Back Window - The first years this body style (1999 & 2000) became known as “Shakerados” (See This Link) because of vibrations. My first Silverado, a 2001 Ext Cab Z71 never had this problem, but you could not order a sliding rear window then, in fact I have never seen a Silverado Ext Cab with this option. I was once told (yes, by the Dealer!) that they could pop out from the flexing, especially in the 4 door cab. At 2800 miles on my SS it is as tight as the last truck, so I do not forsee this problem coming up, but if this is true lets skip modifications that may weaken the cab! I remember that one member of this forum at least as put in a power sunroof, but GM would have liability issues.

DVD navigation – GM sells OnStar as an alternative, I do not know of a GM product with it.

DVD/TV Screen - Illegal if visible from the drivers seat.

Anything Chrome – Chevrolet designed this thing with a monochrome/alloy/brushed stainless theme, I love seeing what owners do on their own, but lets leave the style alone (For this year!)

I put the Clear Lenses in here, (I don’t like them personally IMHO) but they are defiantly a chrome look.

This is what I came up with to add;

Engine - 400hp and a supercharger option, I would like to supersize that with an intercooler please :cool: !

Underhood light

Interior - Overhead Console w/HomeLink

2-tone seats

Stickshift (auto) and revised center console

Big Red Start Button :devil:

Brushed Stainless accents including instruments, SS Logo on those instruments.

Move the heated seats button, not pleasant to use by accident on 98-degree day, I know from experience :pop: !

Dim the high beam light a bit!

Exterior – Lowered 2 inches, I thought this would look great, probably improve the handling, but it would lower the payload and trailer pulling ability, so how about an air suspension? Computer controlled to lower at speed, take in to account payload and trailers, or jack up the truck for muddy rutted trails. (I would not take this truck off road, but it could handle it better w/this feature)

Dual exhaust and/or side exit exhaust

More dramatic Lower Body Cladding (I Like it as it is, subtle but much different from the standard truck!) But I put this in anyways.

HID Head lamps

Improve or Install anti-sway bars (Of course the computer controlled air suspension would take care of that!)

Larger Brakes (with alloy, black or body color calipers)

Colors, GM seems to use the same colors across all their brands, so exclusive ones for the SS are probably out, but the charcoal grey would look good, add it to the Palette.

Factory Spray in bed-liner, If Nissan (Darn French Company!) can do it, we can! Color Key it also.

And now to the fake brake air vents, those alloy look things in the front lower bumper, I like them, but many don’t. If they are part of the theme of the truck lets leave them alone, and put small fog/driving lights at the outer edges of the lower grill, making everyone happy! (maybe)

There you have a distillation of ideas, hopefully with some production realities thrown in. I left out brand name aftermarket parts (cost!) and "natural" Dealer options (tonneau cover), we have to leave the dealer a place to make money! Of course I am a computer geek :sleep: and an Army soldier :flag: , so what do I know about building cars?

Oh Yeah! Lower The Sticker Price :smash: $$$$ :smash:

29111549.jpg

Maybe one day buying a new vehicle will be like ordering a hamburger. Remember the old BK commercial? " Hold a pickle, hold a lettuce, special orders don't upset us, all we ask is that you let us have it your way" It's all nice to dream, I guess. Some pretty good wishes from everyone. Now, just imagine that you could buy a truck that had a list of 20 or so options that really just "made it yours". Now that would be awesome!

Archived