First Oil Change

Luke

Well, I think it's about time for my first oil change. I'm approaching 3k miles on the SS. Is 3000 too soon? The guys at work gave me hell about changing the oil in my s-10 every 3k (actually they wanted my used oil :lol: )

I have a free oil change letter/coupon from the dealership, but I'm thinking of putting synthetic in it. Any suggestions? I've heard a lot of people on the forum talk about Mobile 1. Does Valvoline make a synthetic? Thanks :smash:

3000 miles is a good number. That is were I started. You might want to wait for a few more miles before synthetic. I am sure a few people will pitch in with that answer.

CD

I put synthetic in about a 1000 miles after i got it, and run it every 3000 miles now. I use mobile 1 fully synthetic, but havent used any others for a while now. You can go to Walmart and get a 5qt bottle for like $20 and get an additional 1qt for a total of around $24 + filter.

:withstupid:

That is just about what and when I did it.

I was at WalMart last weekend and Mobil 1 (the new gold label) was only $21.00 for the 5 qt jug. :wtf: I think they mis-priced it! Needless to say, I bought 3. Individual qts. were like $5.xx. :dunno:

I did the first at 3k and the second at 6k, Now that it's broke in I'm going to go by the DMI % The manual says it calculates the oil life by engine rotations, viscoscity, and the temp. It say's it may last depending on how many highway miles you put on it up to 9k but must be changed at least once a year regardless of mileage to keep your warranty. So it's up to you, some here change it every 3k others like myself make sure it gets changed when it say's to...

Changing synthetic every 3k is just throwing your money away. I'm very particular about the oil that goes in my vehicles and tend to overdo it sometimes. But, even Mobil 1 has started claiming a longer interval on their oil. Synthetic oil just doesn't break down. The filter will give up before the oil. You can get a longer interval filter also.

Personally I have nothing against Mobil 1. In fact I would use it over any conventional.

But, for the last 16years it has been Amsoil for me. You can order their stuff in qty on the internet and if you do it right, can even cost less than Mobil 1.

I also stopped changing my oil every 3k since I switched to Mobil 1. I don't know exactly how far the oil went last time, but I just wait until the oil % gets to about 5% or below before I change it. I have noticed that I don't change my oil that often anymore.

Late- Alex

Thanks for the responce. I'm pretty much convinced I'll be switching to synthetic. Now I just have to decide which brand. :banghead:

Which brings me to another question - How do you reset the oil life in DIC? I just changed out my PCM recently and it reset to 100% (95% now).

Archived