Mocking up SS bumper cover

bgdsub72

I spent last night mocking up the SS bumper cover I purchased. And It looks good with the exception of the sides bulging out. My cover is an exact replica of the Urathane cover except in fiberglass. I am thinking that when the guy took the mould that the urathane was flexing outward by the ends causing all of the casts to stick out too far... Anyone know of anyways to get fiberglass to be re moulded with out having to cut it up and fiberglass repair kit it back together? I am wondering if I can get it hot and push it back in a little bit. There is enough play to push it back where it is supposed to be but it does not stay.

sscover%20001.jpg

sscover%20002.jpg

sscover%20003.jpg

This is what I mean about it sticking out too far...

sscover%20004.jpg

sscover%20005.jpg

second question is has anyone modified thier bumper cover to add fog lamps? I would like to get mine back in there inside the air ducts but the ducts are way too long and would require trimming. My plan is to get the fog lights back in and have the billet piece covering them.

is there a way for you to make the tabs pull the sides in closer? that does look pretty big for some reason, try asking the guy you got it from if he ever had any past experiences with that happening

I will email him, but I think thats what I may have to do. I think the stock SS bumper uses some sort of tab to keep it close to the body. I will have to go to the dealer and get the diagram. Maybe I can use an OEM part to bring it back to where it should be...

Your right that is out just a bit from the fender....mabey a little heat, and some gentle work may help..... Good luck with that, it does look pretty sweet and for $200 that's still a great deal.

If it is an exact replica of the poly cover, then no the bumper stays on and the valance has to come off. As far as the buldges I dont know. I have the poly cover and had no problems, but w/ the rigid fiber I dont know. One idea is to mock it up again making the sides fit like they are supposed to w/ some force(w/out cracking it) somehow make it keep its shape like by my maybe tieing it somehow and set it out in the sun all day. That has worked for me on some other fiberglass body panels. Hope this helps somewhat. Gonna look good when its done though.

well, I drilled a hole on the bottom of the bumper and zip tied it to the side bumper support and it went back to where it was supposed to be. Only problem is now the center is starting to bulge. I will figure it out... I need to get it painted first...

it may be also because your is an hd any they have slightly different bummper loactions, i would contact azfastestss he put a ss bumper on his hd.

Mine is non HD it is a LD 2500 which has the same bumper as all 1/2 ton trucks. I took off the upper and lower valance, and no you do not have to remove the stock bumper. Under all silverado SS's bumper covers there is a steel bumper.

well, I drilled a hole on the bottom of the bumper and zip tied it to the side bumper support and it went back to where it was supposed to be.  Only problem is now the center is starting to bulge.  I will figure it out... I need to get it painted first...

Are you sure how the mold was made? Did this guy just lay fiberglass over the original poly bumper or did he use the poly to make a mold for the fiberglass one? If he just overlayed then it might just be the fact that its bigger than its supposed to be :dunno:

That would explain the bulge moving to the center when you tied the sides down.

I asked the guy before I picked it up. He said he took the bumper cover off of a Silverado SS and made a mold. Then he took the mold and made the fiberglass copy. This guy usually does good work, my friend bought some Smooth Impala SS bumpers from him...

Archived