SS top speed

FalconPilot

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:crazy: Did some more math today :crazy:

With the dyno graph someone posted,

at 5900 rpm, the engine makes 300 FtLb of torque.

in 3rd gear (1:1 ratio) , about 300 Ftlb of torque is getting to the driveshafts. That is at 133 MPH. :P

133 MPH in OD is 4124 RPM. The engine is said to put out close to 380 FtLb at 4124 RPM

Match that to a 0.7 OD ratio and you have only 266 FtLb to the driveshafts. :confused:

SO, shift into OD, and loose torque. Loose torque, go slower. :eek:

The only way to get the SS faster over rev it, get different gears, or come up with about 575 Ft Lb of torque. :cry:

Even a Whistle may not put out that much power! :fume:

A blown 427 is starting to sound better every day!

Well I am off to the track, (runway), track, (runway), I am so confused! We will see if my but dyno works. I do "feel" a great improvement with the Westers. If that turns into better times, GREAT, if not, I will keep the computer anyway. It just feels faster and shifts MUCH better. Plus 133 MPH on 4 wheels is adictive. (though not as much fun as 150 on 2, or 575 with 6 tucked into the wheel wells.

Will post results tonight at the latest

Chad

Sounds like we're all betting on the Wester's now.

Not me. I've had my LS1 edit updated for the new SS. I love it. Wouldn't do it any other way.

I would love to do the LS1 edit, just don't know if I have the technical know-how to manipulate all that "stuff". Not ruling out completely. I'll wait until after the s-chgr install before I make a final decision.

It looks like I have a little better gas mileage. I upped my timing, so it runs stronger. I changed the torque converter lock / unlock points. I also delayed the downshifting a little, so it stays in gear longer before it downshifts. I moved up the shift points. I increased transmission line pressure. I turned off the rear O2 sensors, so I can remove my cats in the future if I want. I reduced torque management. I set up the TOW / HAUL button to be a HAUL A$$ button, where it increases shift speed and pressure and moves the part throttle shift points up. I also leaned out the upper rpms some to gain a little more power.

I know it runs better. It suprised me one morning and I had to get off the throttle when I was testing it out. Lets say this, with a few bolt ons, I'll be in the 13s without a supercharger or nitrous.

If there is anyone in the Dallas / Ft Worth area with a stock SS, lets line them up and test the tuning results.

I need to come down there and you can run against the Westers.

With your expertise I'm pretty sure you will out run me but it'll be fun anyways.

I might try to get my dad's friend with his stock SS to make the journey too.

Might be a few weeks though.

BigTex - good to hear some optimism on the part of the performance of the SS with the less expensive bolt-ons for a change. The LS1 edit sounds like a great tool. It would be pretty interesting to test the two computer programs out in the stock form, just to see.

Just got back from the track. Had ton of fun heres what we did.

Temp 85 deg

Barometer 28.20

60 2.261

330 6.439

1/8 9.915

mph 71.58

1000 12.921

1/4 15.507

mph 87.04

On the way home i ran a 2002 Z71 with mods at a stop light i beat him at the light we raced until i hit 105 and had him by over a truck length. I was impressed and he was very impressed. I should receive my westers PCN this weekend and i will be at the track next Tues. I can't wait. :jester:

Archived