Water on drivers' floor

Bowtie70SS

Ok, I'm fairly new here and I tried searching the forum, but no luck. Tonight at the car wash before I washed my truck I took out the floor mats and holy crap my drivers' side floor was fairly damp but not soaked. I have only had my truck for 2 weeks and the dealer had it for 3 days of that. We had a fairly hard rain here last week, but I just noticed the floor today. Here's the best part I have 37,000 miles on it...imagine that out of warranty. I am hoping some one has had this problem and maybe can tell me what gives. BTW I did get a print out of the service history and the windshield has been resealed per a recall. I really don't want a big rust hole in my floor or a mildew garden growing under the floor mat so...any ideas? Thanks!!

Dave

The water was under the drivers' floor mat...the heater core is on the passenger side...I think? It wasn't sticky like AF. I bought my truck used...could have bought a new Ford on A plan ... but what's the point of that. I'd much rather have a very nice slightly used SS truck than any Ford(unless I could sell it to buy more Chevys)

Dave

1970 SS454 Chevelle

1970 SS396 Elcamino

2003 Arrival Blue SS Silverado

i have had the same problem with my s-10 not the SS, when i had the problem with the s-10 the dealer said the leak was around the firewall not sure where exactly. the mechanic said if gm built boats they would all sink. good luck.

there is a hole underneath the drivers side floor that should be sealed with a rubber plug. i cant remember for sure but i think a wire harness or something runs out of it. i know this because this is where i ran my power wire from my amp to the battery from.. i sealed it after i cut it with sealant but maybe check and see if that plug is in place or not.. just my 2 cents..

From the glass installer.....

Generally, if the leak is coming from the windshield, you will see it drip. A leak from the bottom of the w/s is VERY unlikely (unless it was a VERY poor installation). The glass on the bottom of your vehicle sits like a shingle on a roof, and there is an overlap there (which is why a leak there is unlikely). What we do when we have a dealer bring us with a water leak is to pull the carpet back on the vehicle (very easy on this truck), and put the garden hose to it. We will be very specific where we put the hose, and have someone look and see the area where the water is coming in. Just the other day, we had a new Honda SUV in here, we put a w/s in it about 3 weeks after the lady got it, and she came in complaining of a wet floor board.....come to find out, we took the interior apart, and found the water leak was from a body seam that Honda failed to seal....blame it on the w/s! :D

• 1 year later...
Poor windshield seal or leaky sunroof...one of the two. Did you have your windshield replaced recently? Ever?

yeah, I had my windshield replaced about a year or so ago, but This is coming from under the dash behind the center console......It has been in the 90*s and this was the first day I ran the AC. I'm thinking its condensation :confused:

Could also be two things......a hole in the evaporator, or a leaky cowl seal under the windshield plenum.

I had 2 Grand Prixs that had water coming in from somewhere and getting under the mats.

Both times it was a bad cowl seal that leaked rain water through the blower motor onto the carpeting.

:chevy:

• 2 weeks later...

When I came home one night and my dad told me that when he was about to drive our Honda Del Sol, but after a closer look he noticed that the front driver side mat was soaking wet. He told me that it that there could be a hole with Honda Del Sol parts which could be located on the driver side, it could be that the antifreeze leaking, however when I looked into the reservoir it was nearly full. Not only the front mat was wet, but the rear driver's side too. A friend of mine told me that it could be the heater core because it is located behind the radio and can leak onto both sides of your floor. When they fail, water on the floor is usually a good sign. A lot of people have had the same problem. So, we replaced the heater core and clean up the water before it got really nasty. After that the mat was back to being dry again... Hope this helps... By the way it could be the following:

1. Drains in the door itself are clogged.

2. The plastic membrane that sits behind the door panel may have been removed for a repair and not replaced?

3. The rubber seal, called a squeegee, is worn/torn. This seal sits at the base of the window as the window goes into the door.

4. If you have a sunroof, the front sunroof drain is clogged, or a rubber hose inside the car's A pillar (where the windshield is glued in all the way on the right side) has slipped off its tubing.

5. the fresh air vent (under the windshield wipers) has filled with crud and tree debris and is now a fishtank in there, and needs to be cleaned out.

In order of possibility, I would check 1, then 3, then 5, then the other two. Good luck!!!

Archived