Atlanta Motor Speedway almost destroyed

Mervz

They say close to $40 million in damage from the F2 tornado. But, according to the track owner the race in October will go on as planned. No damage to the track surface occured, thankfully.

Like how the bowtie survived in that fence shot :) F2, baby! Like a Rock!

I gave up on the south and its twisters/hurricanes in 98. 10 yrs in a mobile home, two hurricanes and 8 or 9 nearby twisters will make you do something as nuts as moving to Cali :)

Of course now I wish I had a trailer to stay in if there is an earthquake---probably end up getting an RV---

Did I miss something or does life go in circles like this forever?

I live down in Atl, and drove by today it was a ugly and looks like Las Vegas is chopping at the bit for the race. Looks like the next one is going to be worst.

I actually read that the banking and the shape of the track helped the tornado form inside the speedway.  Scary...

Hope they were paid up on their insurance premiums.

It pretty much had to be formed before it got to the track. This is the way they work. It probably was already on the ground. What it probably did do was intensify when it hit the low ground of the infield. It would have been almost unheard of to just drop an F2 in the middle of the track---it had to be an F1 first.

It goes:

F-0 up to 73mph

F-1 73-112 mph

F-2 113-157mph

F-3 158-206mph

F-4 207-260mph

F-5 261-318mph

Those mothers dont play. Been through enough to last a lifetime. Biggest I have been through was F-3.

Archived