Westers results

FalconPilot

First the but dyno. After driving for 300 miles, there is a difference in the way the truck shifts. Much firmer. The acceloration did not feel different at low speeds, but above 55, it feels much faster. The 55-85 time is faster. It takes much less room and time to pass.

Around town, the shift points are great. the truck is always ready to "get up and go!" downshifts are faster and firmer.

The G-Tech results need explaining. The base runs were done on the runway in PEO. Calm wind, 30.06"hg pressure at 980 ft. 53 deg F. Truck was up to temp and trany was at 150 deg. 5470 lb weight. The average run was

15.27 sec at 91.0 MPH

the westers test was done at the same place with different conditions. 30.22"hg, 70 deg. Time

15.21 sec at 91.6 MPH

I can not find a calculator that takes into consideration altitude to correct the times to sea level, standard day

IMHO, it was worth the money

Chad

:cheers: Did you do multiple runs and average or are you comparing a single pass? Thank you for the hard info!

If you look down in the 1/4 forum, you will see the procedure I used. The above #s are averages.

SSilverado60 asked "what altitude are you at?? "

I am 980 ft above sea level

I called Westers this afternoon. Mine was the 2nd one for the SS he did. He needs one up there, so he can work on it in person. If anyone is in Alberta, go check him out!!!

He had one in the works today that is the replacement for the person that had the shift problems (sorry, I can't remember your name)

All the computers he does are a custom job. You tell him what you want and he does it. All I said on mine is I want to get rid of torque managment and go as fast as possible. He thought there would be more of an improvement in 1/4 times. In truth, I wish there was also.

The runs I did with the Westers were at a higher temp. The density altitude with the Westers was 1577 ft, on the base runs it was 695 ft. (density altitude is what altitude the truck thought it was at when compared to the standard atmosphere.) Seeing as the truck was at a higher density altitude, and went faster, there is no doubt it is putting out more power. Lynden and I just thought it would be more. He said he messed with the timeing and fuel curves. (on top of the shift stuff and top speed limiter.)

I am an airplane mechanic, (and Falcon Captian) I understand top RPM limits of around 2600 RPM (in a piston engine) and putting power out at over 75% of max, for many hours, constantly, day after day, hour after hour. I leave the high revving, high compression, water cooled, short lived stuff to people that know about that! (a 360 cubic inch, fuel injected aircraft engine will put out only 200 HP (but 404 ft lb of torque) at 2600 RPM, for a very, VERY long time!! (over 2500 hours)

We are still working on getting the SS right. I hope to get a cool morning to test the truck under the same temp as the base runs I did.

On the other side, in real life driving, the difference in the way the truck shifts and passes at 50 and above is much better. Also, to have the ability to go over 130 is great! Westers set the limit at 136 on my truck. Like I said in my top speed post, The truck won't go faster with out major modification. (please don't tell the fuzz)

Over all, I am still VERY happy with Westers. There is one going in a blown 1500 silverado, an 8.1 L silverado and one of those ugly things that fall out of the mountans (I think they call them Avalanches)

I can't wait untill the other programers come out, so we can put it all together!

Chad

Chad, I'm the one still waiting on the new PCM from Westers. I'm hoping the end of the week.

I was glad to hear the transmission is shifting a lot better and happy to see someone else happy with the product too.

-Chris

This post is from Lyndon himself..

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd drop in. Some of you have been emailing me--and I can't appreciate enough all of the positive responses. I'd like to note that I'm not perfect--I've made

my share of programming mistakes, but want to assure you all--I'll never leave you hanging or stuck with something you don't want.

Thought I'd post a few little known facts about dyno tuning and what a G-Tech does. We've had a $55K Maha (German) built dyno for about 4 years now--we've tuned everything from 4 cyl cars to large V8 diesels here. Prior to having a dyno, we used to use a G-Tech, prior to that, another software accelerometer package, while monitoring all modifications and their affects with datalogging equipment. I still like to take the customer out with a G-Tech after a tune to show them the unbiased difference that one of these units will show--and repeatability is always within a 1/10 sec. For a couple hundred bucks, you can get some very real world results.

All of the prementioned are extremely accurate, with repeatable results. With any dyno--you want repeatability. Our dyno is an electronic load bearing machine--not an acceleration based unit, like a DynoJet--so of course, it doesn't print out graphs (still working on a step/hold software package that should work great). It's a tuning device that shows acceleration rate of the rollers, wheel speed, dyno roller HP and actual, real, measured torque--to the fraction of torque. This can mean winning or losing in the real world racing circuit, so we take a lot of time with the vehicles that show up for tuning. We can simulate any towing load/ up to an 8% grade, or hold the vehicle at any set speed--and measure output while watching data from the PCM.

A Dynojet or other mass-inertia dyno "knows" the weight of the drum, and measures the amount of "time" it takes to increase the rotational speed of the drum. It then uses these two rate values to dictate to us what the HP and "torque" are without really physically measuring them. I'm not opposed to using a dynojet, but <sigh> it's just not the best unit for tuning since there are a lot of software timers involved in your PCM. Most of your trucks have a power enrich timer that isn't in effect for a couple seconds--by that time on a dynojet--you're finished your acceleration run.

BTW, Diablo just got a dyno around 6 months ago. Really wish I had their R&D $$$, too.

Final note--programming is a total erasure and reprogram of the onboard chip which is a 29F040 Intel Flash industrial chip. There's no way to physically piggyback programming -- it's impossible. Since I've never tried a "Predator", Superchips or Hypertech programmer--I'd really like to know the results, too. We do appear to be getting better gains at our altitude, than all of them seem to get at sea level.

Anyways--hope you chosen few are enjoying the "new" found performance and wish you all the best.

Lyndon

www.ecmprogrammer.com

I can not find a calculator that takes into consideration altitude to correct the times to sea level, standard day

This is what the NHRA uses to correct for altitude

NHRA Correction Factors

Do I understand that Wester's is wanting to try and dyno tune an SS? I would be interested in how this gets done, as I have yet to find a dyno that can accomdate the SS.

This is what the NHRA uses to correct for altitude

NHRA Correction Factors

Do I understand that Wester's is wanting to try and dyno tune an SS? I would be interested in how this gets done, as I have yet to find a dyno that can accomdate the SS.

Thanks for the site! As far as dyno testing, He did not say he was going to do any to me. He did say he would like to get a truck up there to test in real world conditions. (do things like listen for pinging...). He would like to use a dyno, but is up to the same wall every one else is. Nothing with a long enough wheel base

Chad

Archived